Linguaholic

"Which" vs "That"

Sarah676

Does anybody else get confused about when they should use "which" vs when they should use "that"? For example, look at the following sentences:

"I'm wearing the dress that I love."

"I'm wearing the dress which I love."

I personally prefer the first sentence because it feels more correct, but I can't really explain why it's more correct using English grammar rules.

So does anybody have a simple explanation of the rules when it comes to using "which" vs "that"?

I was told that try to avoid using "That" in which it considers an improper word usage. I remember one of my teachers has taught me that "Which" is a better word to use in a sentence because "That" considers misuse to some people. To me, "That" means indirect to the subject, which it refers to a completely different thing. "Which", for instance, explains further to the subject in which is being said in the first place.

Well, it's rather confusing at the start and if you think at it. I've never came across to that thought but huh, I believe I can give you an example of when I was one or another.

"I've never came across to that thought."

"I like that software which allows you to edit your video easily."

I find myself using "that" in the place of "which" as well, but that's something I'll try to fight from now-on.

"I'm wearing the dress that I love."

"I'm wearing the dress which I love."

Or, sometimes, I'm wearing the dress I love...

I never know which to use. It's easier in speech, no one really cares, but writing takes more considering.

'that' is used when the speaker knows what 'that' is.

Example - "John liked the girl that he knew."

'which' is used when the speaker doesn't know what 'which' is.

Example - "I don't know which is the better book."

I was told that try to avoid using "That" in which it considers an improper word usage. I remember one of my teachers has taught me that "Which" is a better word to use in a sentence because "That" considers misuse to some people. To me, "That" means indirect to the subject, which it refers to a completely different thing. "Which", for instance, explains further to the subject in which is being said in the first place.

On the contrary, I read a grammar related article which says "that" never hurts to be used -- required or not --  but it may hurt the understanding of a phrase when it is omitted.

As for the use, I often use which as an opening statement to explain the previously said, in example

"I love to wear this pink dress, which is truly comfortable."