Linguaholic

You know/realize you are a language nerd, when......

deen the breen

When you talk to somebody about a book you've read and you can't remember what language was the book in.

When you get annoyed with stupid pseudo linguistic jokes (like fake Chinese names) and you see that they don't even make sense, because they don't sound anything like the language they are making fun of.

...you try to form a sentence in Spanish, but Japanese particles find their way into it.

I had this problem in my Latin class last year :D When we were doing translations I kept thinking that this sentence looks wrong and that it could use some "wa" or "ga" :D

Putting all together the possible words you know even it's not correct or you are not making sense at all. Pretending that your speaking their language, just showing off to your family and they all though your so good because they don't understand everything you said. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

When you keep a list of your favorite words!  I've done this for the past decade.  While reading books or on the web I will write down words that catch my fancy and include a definition just to help me remember exactly what they mean.  I don't always use them in conversation or when writing just because most people do not have any idea what a lot of the words actually mean.  And nowadays it is a chore to get anyone to do something as laborious as looking up the definition of a word.

you find comedy movies or tv shows that are dubbed to your mother tongue are completely NOT funny. I remember back when I was young and watched FRIENDS in Indo dub version and was laughing about it. after I watched the English version, I'd never go back to watch the Indo dub version. they are just so bad.so bad.

My ex-professr has a huge collection of phrasebppks and dictionaries, even for obscure languages like Bislama, Georgian and Tongan. This I believe, is one of the marks of a true language nerd!