Linguaholic

Does anybody else find it easier to learn from non-native speakers?

Sarah676

A lot of people here do not realize that most of us had learned the basics of English, for example, from a non-native teacher during school and highschool. As long as they know their stuff and are able to teach some basic vocabulary, the most important grammar rules and so on, I can't see any reason why learning from a non-native teacher wouldn't work.

It will probably be easier to learn a language from a non-native speaker because he or she will probably speak the language without the native twang or accent associated with the language. Some students, however, would prefer listening to and learning from a native speaker because they also want to absorb the accent, and perhaps the nuances of the language. It's like, I can read and write in English, but if I have to listen to a fast-talking Brit or American, I might not be able to understand a word at all. I would say it has to be a mixture of both. Learn the basic from a non-native speaker then enrich your learning with a native speaker as a teacher. 

• 3 weeks later...

In my case, I managed to learn my English very well from a non-native English teacher.  There was a period in my high school years when my fourth year English was taught by a British teacher.  I didn't see any problem with that, as our English teacher then managed to adjust quite well.  Because of the non-native background of my English teachers, I found it very easy to learn grammar, but I didn't get very far with literature.  On the other hand, I had some problems with my native language (Filipino) because for one, it was already native to us.  We also communicate in Filipino during break time as well as lunch time.  In a way, we took our Filipino learning for granted.  I also agree that when it comes to basics, a non-native speaker must guide you, but for advanced speaking techniques as well as assimilating into the mainstream, a native speaker is recommended.

I usually not only rely on native speakers to learn new languages but I do also use other online materials to learn. If you don't have the money to get a native speaker to teach you then online courses can be helpful. You also use different apps even if you have a native speaker to teach you. Somebody who has lived in an area and known the local language can also teach others how to speak the language. The only problem can be when it comes to pronunciations. 

Well I certainly see why this would be the case.  If you have someone who has learned the language previously, then they know a lot of the things that work and what helps in actually taking the knowledge and applying it.  I would think that this is a very valuable skill to have, and it makes me wonder if there is anything out there that shows this, in terms of a study or anything.  It makes sense, but I am not really sure how it plays out in the real world.  Really interesting to think about, though, so thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like it easier to learn from non native speakers. Native speakers sometimes have a hard time explaining things to non native speakers because it was easy for them to learn the language that they speak and they have been using it their whole life. Non native speaks often times can give you bits of advice on how to remember things. I think you can learn from either type of speaker, but to me I think that it is easier to learn from non natives.

It will be easier depending on the teacher because if the teacher is that kind of guy/girl that likes teaching others the same way they learned and got taught, they probably will give you tips and shortcuts to finally master or dominate the language you're trying to learn, it also depends on many other factors, but that's the one I think stands out the most. 

Happy learning!

More than non-native speakers. I shall say it is easier to learn from people that actually learn another language and become fluent on it. Is not the language itself, but the experience to know what are the most effective strategies to successfully learn a language. Native speakers didn't learn their mother tongue fast, they were exposed to their environment and afterwards spent decades on institutions being instructed in the proper use of grammar and pronounciation. 

I think that many people find it easier to learn from a non-native speakers. The reason for this, I think, is because a non-native speaker might be more sensitive and aware of your native language, so they may relate your language to the language that you're trying to learn and make comparisons. Also, non-native speakers might slow down the pace of the language, or use terms that are specifically closer to some words in your native tongue. For example, I once had a Spanish teacher who would use the word, "copa" for cup instead of "taza" simply because "copa" sounds more like "cup". Also, sometimes a non-native speaker can answer questions in your language to help you understand. Therefore, I don't think that it's necessarily unreasonable that you would feel that it's easier to learn from non-native speakers.

For me it depends on the language and on the experience the teacher has. Of course it helps at the beginning starting with a non-native since they tend to pronounce slower than native speakers do and in many times clearer too. But when you're already in an intermediate or advanced level it's always best to stick only to native speakers since you need your hearing to get used to the fastest way of speaking possible.