Linguaholic

Muzzy!

Kotro

Does anyone remember the BBC Muzzy films Muzzy in Gondoland and Muzzy Comes Back? They were animated films aimed at teaching English at a beginner level. They were quite popular in the late 80's and early 90's throughout Europe, I believe. Still more than the language teaching itself, I remember the absurdly hilariousness of the stories, which I still find quite amusing whenever I come across parts of it on the web. Loved Muzzy, the friendly parking meter gulping alien, and Corvax, the evil scientist.

Anyone else has fond memories of that show and, more importantly, perhaps, remember how helpful it was in teaching English to little kids?

Muzzy 2

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I always saw ads for Muzzy when I was little! I would watch Nickelodeon and see the ads and I wanted the French Muzzy vids, but my mom said, "Do you know how much that is going to cost me?" Boo. I wish she would have at least tried to find something similar at the library. Aw, Muzzy!  :cry:

• 3 months later...

I do not remember Muzzy as a child. But I did purchase it for my daughter when she was a baby. It is an excellent way for young children to learn a new language. It's fun, adventurous and most importantly simple and straight foward.

She did not learn spanish because she was more interested in the english parts. But she thoroughly enjoyed Muzzy and it was worth the investment.

• 2 months later...

When I was in elementary school we had an exchange student program. Students in grades 5 and 6 Went to France. They would meet once a week and study the langauge one of the man resourses the teacher liked to use was muzzy. The funny thing is most of the student thought they were too old for muzzy and called it lame.

• 4 weeks later...

I always wanted muzzy when I was a kid and lo and behold my sister found it at a church fete for 20P! We could not believe it because it was worth over £100.

It is a really good thing and recently I found it on YouTube in Spanish :) WHICH IS EPIC!

You're never too old for Muzzy!

That's great, Tombo! And I agree it can be fun for adults as well - just the other day I was watching a clip on the Tube and couldn't help but think some of the jokes were a bit racy for the target young audience.  :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

I remember this learning program being advertized Nickelodeon when I was a child, too.  I wondered how on Earth those children in the commercial even understood what that green creature was saying--what he said sounded nothing like what that young actress repeated back!

• 1 year later...

Oh, good old Muzzy! It was shown on Russian TV back when I was a girl and I loved it :) Now I'd be happy to use it myself as a teaching tool for some of my friends. As Tombo rightly said, you are never too old for Muzzy. I find simple videos very useful - both for teaching and learning. And they are fun!