Linguaholic

Learn Arabic through movies and TV shows

yurithebest1

I just want to point out that people who are learning Arabic, can learn a lot by watching movies and TV shows on one of the biggest Arab Satellite on their receiver, all of Arab TV satellites have some channels that display American and English movies during all the day with Arabic subtitles in the bottom of the screen.

If you are too busy to watch TV, you still can watch your favorite movies on your computer using Arabic subtitles which are available in most internet websites.

Hello yurithebest1, I have Arabic TV channels at home and watch them a lot. My favorite channel is ART because it has a variety of shows from all over the Arab world.

ART is a very famous and old company in the Arab world that has some very good channels which broadcast music, movies, news, documentaries and much more. However i have to admit that i don't watch its channels a lot because if i want to get their channels on my satellite receiver i will have to pay for them, and to be honest i don't want to pay for something that i can get for free on other channels and other internet websites as well.

I understand Martee, of course in order to read Arabic subtitles on the screen, you will have to know at least how to read Arabic letters and that is the minimum, so it is better to start reading some books first or take courses for beginners and when you start reading it and understanding it, then those TV subtitles can help you learn more.

• 2 weeks later...

This was exactly how I learned some basic Egyptian and Lebanese Arabic. There is no doubt that watching television is a great way to learn a language!

• 5 months later...

I thought Arabic shows and movies were mostly in Egyptian dialect, as I was taught that Egypt is the Hollywood of the Middle East. Where would one find material from other countries? Any good Internet sites? I live in a small town and I think I'd have to pay an arm and a leg for foreign channels.

I thought Arabic shows and movies were mostly in Egyptian dialect, as I was taught that Egypt is the Hollywood of the Middle East. Where would one find material from other countries? Any good Internet sites? I live in a small town and I think I'd have to pay an arm and a leg for foreign channels.

That's true most movies and dramas are in Egyptian. Although recently many Turkish dramas are dubbed in Syrian. There are many movies in all different dialects though. Some good Lebanese movies are "West Beirut" "Caramel" and "Where do we go from here?" In Saudi Arabic, there is a movie called Wadjda which is very good. The Syrian Bride, Paradise Now, The Lemon Tree are all in Palestinian Arabic but I think are also in Hebrew.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Arabian. I've learned English by watching movies and admiring TV shows like Friends, HMM etc. Listening to music is the best way to learn Arabic, the same way I've learned English, you can learn Arabic but you really need to like what you're seeing or you won't learn Arabic.

• 2 months later...

Eh, not sure!  I mean, it might help to hear arabic on TV, but not much really.  I know because the TV didn't help me that much learning english.  It was all about practicing and learning some words in the written form for me, but of course everyone learns different.  Some are more visual than auditive, others learn better by writing, other needs to put more emphasis on practicing...