Linguaholic

Where to begin learning Arabic?

Kotro

Learning Arabic has always been one of my desires. I have always had a soft spot for Arab history, especially closer to home in the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa, and am also quite curious about Arabic culture. My college used to offer Arabic as an option, but sadly when I found the time to enroll it wasn't available anymore.

I thought I could try to approach it on my own, but it seems like a daunting task, to try to learn a language with what appears to be a different alphabet, word-phrasing and speaking register. So I am asking your advice on what would be the best way to start, any helpful links you can point me to, any hints you might have, I am all ears (or eyes, in this case)!

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hi Kotro! My suggesstion is too start with the script. The script isn't too hard and having that as a basis would be really good. Also I owuld start with MSA and worry about the dialects latter. Some good books to start with are Living Language Arabic, Mastering Arabic and Complete Arabic. Also Alf, Baa Taa, is a pretty good book for learning the script. There are some good links in here:

http://linguaholic.com/study-arabic/arabic-links/

Hi Kotro, i took Arabic for four years in college (probably going on to do more, I wanted to major in Hindi but unforuently the only colleges that had it were extreamly expensive and far away), But I really did enjoy it, however it is quite frustrating at times, especially the grammer and prounciation. It is easy in the beggining but gets difficult as you go on. I suggested learning the script first because it is pretty much the eaisest part and knowing it will help you a lot. I have to tell you I'm not fluent in Arabic and it is a very difficult language to learn but it isn't impossible and is worth learning. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I heard that there is a classical Arabic and standard Arabic, for those who are fluent in Arabic out there, aside from sharing your thoughts on how to begin learning Arabic, can you please recommend which one of these two is the best Arabic to learn?

I am currently working here in Saudi Arabia and I need to learn this language in order to make life and work easy while I am still here.

Thank you in advance guys!

• 4 weeks later...

Learn the Script first of all. There are many good youtube tutorials for this. Once you have mastered that many borrowed words will immediately become clear to you. After that I would recommend learning basic grammar and vocabulary, a few common verbs by rote and then use parallel texts of short stories.

Hi, I heard that there is a classical Arabic and standard Arabic, for those who are fluent in Arabic out there, aside from sharing your thoughts on how to begin learning Arabic, can you please recommend which one of these two is the best Arabic to learn?

I am currently working here in Saudi Arabia and I need to learn this language in order to make life and work easy while I am still here.

Thank you in advance guys!

Learn Standard Arabic, that is the kind that it is written on  signs and newspapers. Plus most course books teaches Modern Standard Arabic. I think that in Saudi Arabia most people will understand you if you speak Modern Standard Arabic but you can also take a look at this book that focus on Saudi Arabic:

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Arabic Saudi

I think learning Modern Standard would be your best bet though.

• 1 year later...