Linguaholic

The most suitable language for swearing ?

linguaholic

I'm not sure what the most suitable language for swearing would be. I might have to go with Chinese. There are a lot of times when I hear somebody that is talking in Chinese where they sound like they're yelling at them. I ask my friends what they said afterwards and they say "Oh, they were telling me dinner is ready." So I might have to go with Chinese.

Well, I speak Australian English...we have a very "colourful" vocabulary. I guess that's what you get when the first generation of people in your country were all criminals!

Finnish is also quite expressive with its swear words. I won't post anything here, but for those who are interested can check out the article about it on Wikipedia (probably NSFW). The last entry is a word I heard a few times a day when I was in Finland last month.

haha. It's definitely much easier to get away with it here, in pretty much any situation (literally any) and it be just part of the day.

I feel like English is the greatest language for swearing. Not only are there tons of pre-existing epithets, you can really use your imagination to create your own. I mean, there are "swear generators" on the internet that will invent a new curse phrase for you! That's the power of English for ya.

I think German and other words which emphasize the intonation and the tone of the voice is a good language for cursing as if it was really built for that use XD. Ilocano which is one of my native language is also a good language for such matters and is hilarious when people say bad words using this language.

I don't know why but when swearing in languages other than your mother tongue it just seems so more acceptable, and doesn't 'sound' like swearing even though you know exactly what the word means. Even on TV you can get away with some foreign swear words before the watershed.

• 3 months later...

I'd have to say German. I only know a couple of German words but it's a pretty harsh sounding language to me. I mean even innocent words sound like swearing anyway. I'm guessing real swear words would have a greater impact if said in German.  :wacky:

The Hungarian language has an amazingly huge vocabulary of swearing and tons of derogatory words and phrases. We have at least 5 words which can be replacements of the "universal 4-letter F-word" in English.

I'm not sure which languages have the most profanities, but I prefer French the most when it comes to swearing. I think the language is very pleasant to the ears in the way it flows, so even for the swear words, I find it very smooth and I honestly probably wouldn't even be able to tell it from all the other words unless there was a very prominent tone behind it.

Ahah, good one, but I don't think there is a more suitable language to swear than others. I think that the key to swearing is to do it with emotion lol and that is regardless of the language we are speaking in.

Everyone says German, and I have to agree.

While I do think that german has a way too bad reputation of being an "angry language", I really do think that with the right intoniation, nothing beats an angry german person swearing like crazy.

• 5 years later...

I have to say Croatian. There are so many phrases and words to use, you can combine them with literally any noun and you can have a lot of fun with it. It is also very satisfying to say in general but also very good and satisfying to get something off your chest. Learn Croatian swearing!

Same principle applies to Serbian and Bosnian.

I have to say Croatian. There are so many phrases and words to use, you can combine them with literally any noun and you can have a lot of fun with it. It is also very satisfying to say in general but also very good and satisfying to get something off your chest. Learn Croatian swearing!

Same principle applies to Serbian and Bosnian.

On 5/14/2014 at 2:08 AM, MrHurricane89 said:

The Hungarian language has an amazingly huge vocabulary of swearing and tons of derogatory words and phrases. We have at least 5 words which can be replacements of the "universal 4-letter F-word" in English.

Oh the Hungarians love to swear. And their language makes them very good at it. You can call your best friend an *** and a low *** and it may even come off as friendly.