Linguaholic

Antiquarian Says Hi!

Antiquarian

Greetings Linguaholics,

I'm new to the forum. My interest in languages and fondness for diverse world cultures has lead me towards here  :wink:

Feel free to call me "Antiquarian", as one of my main life passions is collecting antiques from my world travels - and researching them.

I guess some of you may want to know more about my personal info.

I'm Japanese but I was raised in various countries overseas.

Countries such as India, Sri Lanka, China, New Zealand and Denmark.

However, I don't speak Japanese at all and I'm struggling with the language. I returned to Japan 3 years ago to get to know about the Home That I Never Got To Know. I'm currently based in Hiroshima, but I plan to relocate again - or possibly move out of Japan.

Because of my international upbringing, I don't have a permanent home. I'm practically homeless. Bah :)

I had a chance to move to Oregon, USA but that was cancelled as my potential sponsors changed their mind. I've been and lived in many countries but I haven't tried America yet. I only visited there, but I haven't experienced living in the USA.

A lot of my peers and family members recommended me to move to America. Initially I was skeptical as America is viewed negatively by many - including my American expat friends. However, my friends and family tells me that my mentality is compatible with that of USA. Problem is I don't know anybody in the USA who would welcome me to their territory. According to my peers, USA and I have a fondness for diversity; we're both composed of diversity and we're not bound by deep tradition. Despite that, I have interest in traditions - and I happen to be an Ayurvedic doctor (Traditional Indian Medicine) myself.

In addition to being an antique collector, herbalist and aromatherapist, I am also a mythographer, folklorist, historian, some say I'm a philosopher (I dunno, feel free to comment on that) and I also aspire to be a novelist. As I travel around the World, I began to see many striking similarities in diverse World Cultures... and World Languages. When I grew up in the Indian Subcontinent and studying Ayurvedic Medicine, it was necessary that I learn Sanskrit - as this language is the Latin or Greek of Indian Study. And since I listen to Latin hymns and Greek odes as music during my spare time, I happen to find many striking common points in those languages with Sanskrit; and from Sanskrit to many other world languages.

English is my native tongue, my lingua franca. Yet since I lived around the World whole my years, I had to learn many languages by force rather than choice. It was both tedious and exciting. And since I moved from country to country during my earlier life, I also had forgotten many languages once I stopped using them.

In the past I was able to have conversations in Malay, Spanish and simple Danish. Now I've forgotten them as I barely used them. I am about to forget Cantonese, Mandarin, Sinhala and Sanskrit... and now I'm learning the language of which I was supposed to know: Japanese. I try to re-learn Sanskrit when I have the chance, but for now Japanese is priority in order for me to survive Japan - and to further complete my identity as a Japanese.

Nonetheless, learning languages is a rejuvenating process. It makes me feel young again (especially learning simple words like a toddler would) and its rather cool speaking to people in their own native tongue. Alright, that's enough about me for now. Now I'm interested in hearing more from you, getting to know many of you... and now it's time for me to have an adventure in this forum :)

I'll see you all later.

Sincerely,

The Antiquarian.

• 2 months later...

Goodness, what an interesting life!

I only spent a day in Hiroshima, and my total Japan time is less than a week, but I was beginning to suss out a few words and characters.

Interested in your linking Latin and Sanskrit. Every now and then I'll find a word that is essentially the same in both. "Trident", for example.

It's all logical and elegant. I like it the more I learn.

--Peter