Linguaholic

What are the top 3 languages in the world?

True2marie

Oh, I agree that Mandarin, English, and Spanish are the three important languages in the universe. I do see more and more people learn Spanish as their secondary language. Mandrain, which depends on where you reside because more people migrate to other countries such as Canada and the United States. Nice post you have right here!

While I would agree with English and Spanish, I am not sure about Mandarin. I don't think it's that important yet. The reason for this is that both English and Spanish are global languages, spoken throughout the world, while Mandarin, despite the vast number of speakers, is still pretty much localized to China and a few of it's neighbours. If I were to pick a 3rd important language it would probably be French, as it is still a global language, and although it's not as spoken as MSA or Portuguese, it is more widely used as a lingua franca in Africa and has wider acceptance as a working language in international organisms (even more than Spanish).

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it depends on how you define "top". Nearly 1/6th of the human race speaks Mandarin, and Spanish and English each have hundreds of millions of speakers. In general English is used as the language of business and trade. If you're looking for numbers, you could take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

Just remember that the purpose of language is to facilitate communication between people, and the language that will bring you the most personal fulfillment probably won't be determined by the number of people who speak it - it'll depend on the people you want to connect with.

It's all very subjective. Take Mandarin as an example. Most people don't speak the language but because China is the world's greatest exporter [of cheap products] they simply have to learn other languages so they can write manuals and stuff. So, Mandarin definitely isn't that important to anyone who's not residing in a Chinese speaking country. My list [of top 3 languages] therefore would be somewhat different.

1. English.

2. Arabic.

3. Spanish.

I think that those three are definitely in the top. I think no one would question that English is language nº1, everyone speaks English, when going to a foreign country no matter which country it is, we most of the time address the people in English and we are understood. Spanish is huge as well and Mandarin is a bit confined to China, but as China holds 1/7th of the world population, it's pretty big as well, but confined to that geographic area.

I would say that the top three languages in the world are English, Spanish and French.For the latter though, if considering the business world, then Mandarin would certainly replace French.

What languages do you think are used most throughout the world. I believe they are Chinese (Mandarin), Spanish and English. Each language has a large continent linked to it and these tongues are necessary for the purposes of doing business globally.

I think the top three (3) Languages is:English, French and Spanish. English is most widely use Language in the world. Its the easiest Language to catch on to. While Spanish and French is harder, reason been if you are not from a that speak these Language then you would have to go to school to learn them. But they are definitely the top three Language in the world.

What languages do you think are used most throughout the world. I believe they are Chinese (Mandarin), Spanish and English. Each language has a large continent linked to it and these tongues are necessary for the purposes of doing business globally.

The top three languages in the world are English, Mandarin and French. English is the language of business and politics Globally. English is also the language for the internet. English is an important language of many countries. Mandarin Chinese is the second international language after English.

Mandarin Chinese is the most useful language for business followed by  French.

I believe that the top 3 languages are English, Mandarin and Spanish. Definitely English because that's pretty much the universal language. Mandarin is second because from my experience I hear that language being used all the time. I'd say Spanish is next because a lot of the people that I know can speak Spanish.

English has to be no 1 on that list then Chinese and lastly French.I think that at least one of every 100 people knows one of these languages.Well Chinese is there because they have a huge population.

Well in terms of amount of speakers it goes:

-Mandarin

-English

-Spanish

However many people believe that Mandarin should not be considered one of the top 3 since it's mainly spoken by the natives of only one country (China), and that country usually teaches other languages as part of their regular educational curriculum. With that in mind the top 3 should be:

-English

-Spanish

-Arabic (the native language of several middle eastern countries)