lllllllllllllllllllllllll

Kamusta or Kumusta?

I'm ashamed to say this, but up until now I still don't know the correct way of saying this greeting, which is why I prefer to play it safe and just say "Musta?".  :laugh:

But of course, as a Filipino, I should know my mother tongue inside out, so I must know how to say this greeting the right way. Please shed some light to this matter.  :happy2:

Kamusta or Kumusta

The correct term is "Kumusta" as the origin of the word is "como esta" (spanish term for how are you?).  Filipinos nowadays used both kamusta and kumusta and it doesn't really matter what they heard they still get it as it's really not an issue.  But when you have to write a formal letter or school paper you still have to use the correct term for obvious reasons.  :grin:

The official spelling is "kumusta" but Filipino words tend to be a lot more flexible since we utilize a lot of borrowed words and rarely use the official ones because most of them are a bit dated, so I'd guess that even "kamusta" is partially acceptable and is probably just seen as the more casual version of the word.

Should you go for Kumusta or Kamusta ?

I agree, Kamusta is acceptable, actually Pinoys are really flexible in adapting to all kinds of changes in terms (or spelling).  The important thing is that we all understand what the other is saying then it's completely fine.

But the fact remains that if you're writing a formal letter, school report, or even music lyrics/titles - you have to stick with the proper spelling.  Examples of Pinoy song titles with the word "Kumusta" are the following:

1. Kumusta ka - Nonoy Zuñiga

2. Kumusta ka aking mahal - Freddie Aguilar, and

3. Kumusta ka - Daniel Padilla (?)  :confused:

All titles were made using "Kumusta" and it's because it's the proper way to spell it.  But for casual conversation or text (just like what Baburra mentioned), kamusta is acceptable. :)

Hahaha! I never even knew that Kumusta was the proper spelling! I've always used kamusta. Just because it's the way I pronounce it so I just always assumed it was spelled that way too. Thanks for the info guys. I shall be using kumusta from now on.

On 3.2.2014 at 10:47 PM, lllllllllllllllllllllllll said:

I'm ashamed to say this, but up until now I still don't know the correct way of saying this greeting, which is why I prefer to play it safe and just say "Musta?".  :laugh:

But of course, as a Filipino, I should know my mother tongue inside out, so I must know how to say this greeting the right way. Please shed some light to this matter.  :happy2:

On this topic, I was able to find this here. --> see picture :P

Kumusta or Kumusta.jpg

"Kumusta" is the proper and correct term, especially when writing formally.  In casual conversations or non-formal writing, however, either "kumusta" or "kamusta" may be used, but the latter is used liberally by Filipinos most of the time.