Linguaholic

Will a new language appear?

Daimashin

Do you think that one day a new language will surface? Is it still possible for a language other than what we have now to be created? So many new words are made up nowadays that I believe that one day these words will become a new language of its own.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't think an entirely new language will appear in our lifetime, but one may emerge given enough time. The reason I don't think a new one will appear now is because I don't think people see much necessity for it yet, but a future event or awakening might just give us a reason to or it just might naturally take form from a more streamlined universal communication, but as for now, I think we are still relatively comfortable enough with our own languages for that to happen.

Because of the advent of globalized communication, I believe society is trending towards a near-universal language. Languages are rapidly becoming extinct as everyone's knowledge of the world around them grows. I don't know about a new language, but English is a strong candidate to be globally adopted. All that being said, the structure and colloquialisms of the language will likely be drastically different in say, 100 years.

Great insights from you guys, thanks! I do hope that one day a new universal language will appear that everyone will use. This way, we will be able to break the language barrier and everyone will be able to understand each other. A lot of misuderstanding could be averted if that day comes.

I don't think we'll have a universal language any time soon. You see, it's more of a nationalistic issue. No one would willing to replace their native tongue with a foreign one. It would imply that the language is better than yours and as everyone thinks they're superior to the OTHER. . .it's not going to happen.

But that a new language will appear is quite obvious. Wouldn't you consider the language used in chat rooms, new?

There are lots of lanugages right now which are appearing and are coming out of political, social and other beliefs and norms which are being established. Homosexuals are creating a new language, the business men, techies and all kinds of people are creating a new language for themselves.

That's a very good question. Our world is already quite civilized, so I don't think a completely new language will appear out of no where.

However, I do believe that languages alter through the ages, so possible a new language could be the an altered version of a current language that we know of today.

Probably but it's a slow process. Maybe in a few hundred years English will sound a lot different. With communication becoming easier languages will start to intertwine. Either that or everyone will just learn English.

• 2 months later...

Yes and no.

No, because I don't believe that a language can so simply appear. It's going to have roots, unless some totalitarian regime says, "Hurrah, we've completed our dictionary! All your children will learn this. Stop talking to them with your natural pollutant tongues, parents and teachers."

Yes, because as long as a language is alive it will evolve. Even in a single language, we can see the change in accents within a few generations, a shift in syntax within a few more generations...and even within a single language, many sub-cultural colloquialisms.

I don't think any new language will appear soon. English is popular all over the world and new words are being added to it also. More and more people are trying to learn English too. I think English has the potential to become a universal language.

A language is not born or created in one day. Even if someone creates a new language now, there may not be enough speakers of it. Unlike programming languages, normal languages takes time to evolve.