Linguaholic

Tulpen Uit Amsterdam

Hedonologist

• 2 months later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

My boyfriend likes that kind of songs :)  He used to send me a long songs when we were starting to get to know each other :)  They were so beautiful, but I often told him I had no idea what they were saying!  Sadly we weren't very lucky finding the lyrics of most of the songs he sent me.  Hopefully one day I will learn dutch so well I will understand all those songs :)

My boyfriend likes that kind of songs :)  He used to send me a long songs when we were starting to get to know each other :)  They were so beautiful, but I often told him I had no idea what they were saying!  Sadly we weren't very lucky finding the lyrics of most of the songs he sent me.  Hopefully one day I will learn dutch so well I will understand all those songs :)

Is your boyfriend Dutch? Because that will be the easiest way of learning. Seriously. I hope you get to learn the meaning of this and other songs. Learning lyrics are another fun and good way of learning.

Yeah, he is actually dutch :)  He has a very funny accent, so not sure if that will help me learn dutch, but G-d knows I'm doing my best to learn the language.  I'm expected to do a lot things in my own right now (in terms of learning the language), so next time I go to the Netherlands I must already know the basics of the language, which is hard enough because I barely have any time left for myself... let alone to study dutch!

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure what it is, but I really dislike this type of music. I can't stand to listen to 99.9% of all Dutch (that is, with Dutch vocals) music, it's just weird! I can't imagine how native English speakers like Americans or people from the UK perceive 'regular' english sung music. This particular song portrays a more traditional view of the country and it's music.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand what you mean, Jay. It just sounds weird. It doesn't sound as poetic as English songs. And when musicians do try to be poetic, it's still weird, people call it pretentious and try to find everything that's wrong with it (example:

by Abel).

And I must say, now that I'm living in the UK for nearly two years, whenever I'm back in The Netherlands, the language as a whole just sounds a bit weird. Not as subtle or flowing.

Tulpen uit Amsterdam is a classic and a tourist favourite of course :P Do you still dislike it when it's played on street organs, without the lyrics?

Btw Trellum, that song I posted in this reply is what Dutch from the South of the Netherlands sounds like. There's still different accents in that, but you can mainly tell by the way the letter 'G' is spoken, much softer than in the North.

• 4 months later...

Very nice song :)  I liked it, it sounds like a very soft spoken one, really soft!  Do the dutch people from the south really sound so soft spoken? I thought the ones in the north sounded kind harsh when speaking  :shy: :shy:

Yes, Southern speech is soft like that. Southern is generally considered to be 'under the rivers'; if you look at a map of the Netherlands, you can see a row of rivers running across the country which separate the South from the rest of the country. There still are differences in the various provinces though, but especially Brabant and Limburg are known to have softer speech. It's also much closer to Flemish.

Oh, and on topic, I kept meaning to add that Tulpen uit Amsterdam originally is a German song, not Dutch :)

• 3 months later...

Nice!  I actually like the way Belgians speak dutch, I'm guessing it's the same in the south of the Netherlands :D  The Belgians have such a soft way to speak compared to the folks in the north of the Netherlands" The ''G'' is so guttural!  Same with ''ch''.

By the way... I'm still confused about something!  I hope you can help me out... how is one supposed to pronounce ''ij''?  I get confused because I've checked several sources, some people seem to pronounce it like an english ''I'' and others like an english ''A''. What's the right one?  Are there variations in the pronunciation of that vowel depending on where in the Netherlands one lives?

• 8 months later...

I have a lot of Dutch oldies that I love listening to. I've managed to find lyrics to most of them but it was not easy feat, for some songs I had to search and search. But I love how they sound! Whoever says Dutch is not beautiful simply doesn't know what he's losing :)