Linguaholic

Katakana and Dyslexia

I was able to get through hiragana quite quickly and easily but I notice I struggled more with katakana and even forget them more easily than many kanji I've been working through.  :amazed: I do have a mild case of dyslexia that makes it easy to mix up words so I'd imagine that has an impact on my katakana learning..

Anyone have a similar experience and tips to share? Thanks!

I have dyslexia too, and I get mixed up a lot with the hiragana! I find katakana easier because there aren't so many that look similar with a little bit of difference, and they're more square looking. So I'm basically the opposite of you, and I keep having to check a chart, which is very sad for me :C

I have dyslexia too, and I get mixed up a lot with the hiragana! I find katakana easier because there aren't so many that look similar with a little bit of difference, and they're more square looking. So I'm basically the opposite of you, and I keep having to check a chart, which is very sad for me :C

:laugh: that is interesting, maybe the rounded edges of lots of the hiragana are making it easier for me to tell them apart. I've heard of people using kanji posters and posting them in front of their bed to look at every day, that may help somewhat for all the characters.

• 1 month later...

I definitely have had friends with this problem. They usually find hiragana easier to learn than katakana due to the more uniform blocky shapes of katakana as opposed to the more slender and curvy hiragana.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking Japanese for 3 years and honestly speaking, I still struggle with katakana. I actually find it more difficult than Kanji because you have to put the sounds together yourself and it usually doesn't sound like how it sounds like in English (or whatever foreign language the word is from).

• 2 months later...

I've always had difficulties with gairaigo or words borrowed from English and other foreign languages that have been nativised in terms of pronunciation to fit Japanese phonology. "Lion" is written phonetically as 'raion" in katakana. imagine longer words like "sorubitooru" for "sorbitol". It always takes me a ridiculous amount of time to read and try to map out these sounds to match the original source words.

• 1 year later...

I definitely have had friends with this problem. They usually find hiragana easier to learn than katakana due to the more uniform blocky shapes of katakana as opposed to the more slender and curvy hiragana.

Same for me. Hiragana is just so much easier to learn than Katakana. The Katakana 'characters' all look so similar to me.