Linguaholic

Duolingo

Dear Mafdet

There are already a lot of posts about Duolingo. Please share your opinion on it there:

http://linguaholic.com/spanish-study-apps/anybody-use-duolingo/

http://linguaholic.com/german-study-apps/duolingo-1850/

http://linguaholic.com/spanish-links/duolingo-com-vs-spanishdict-com/

It would be appreciated if you could use the search function before making new threads (there might be similar threads/questions already)

Thank you for your understanding!

• 7 months later...

I totally love Duolingo, they've added a lot languages already and are going to add Swedish.  I wonder how much it's going to cost to use the site in the future?  I hope isn't too expensive, I really like their method, better than that Mocha site... it's so complicated in comparison!

• 10 months later...

I finished the Duolingo course few weeks ago; truth be told, I have mixed feelings about this: on one hand, they get you through the basic German and teach you the main phrases, but on the other hand, they barely teach any grammar.

I don't feel that I know German well, but I definitely can manage to ask for stuff or for indications.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished the Duolingo course few weeks ago; truth be told, I have mixed feelings about this: on one hand, they get you through the basic German and teach you the main phrases, but on the other hand, they barely teach any grammar.

I don't feel that I know German well, but I definitely can manage to ask for stuff or for indications.

I had the same problem, that is why I no longer use it at all. Memrise is better, because you can learn so many different words, you can even create your own word lists according to your needs!  It's excellent, because you get exactly what you want and need.  I of course recommend to also be using a good course, sites like Memrise are supposed only to serve as an aid.  That site has really helped me be more fluent, knowing more words does help loads!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Duolingo has been the easiest for me, my boyfriend, and my sister. My boyfriend and I are both learning German while my sister is learning Danish. They make it easy and take things slow instead of rushing you into things and I really like that. I found it a lot easier and simpler than Babbel for sure. I also love how they have a discussion section where you can talk to others about how to say it correctly, and alternatives to saying it, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had mixed results with using Duolingo. I think, like most language-learning tools and website, it's all about how you utilize it. For me, Duolingo was just too slow and lacking in grammar. I know that's a common complaint with it and many respond that it's more about natural acquisition of language through sheer exposure - but I think leaving grammatical teaching out completely or almost completely is a big mistake and hindrance to further delving into a language. Perhaps the bottom line of what I'm trying to say is that Duolingo can be an excellent resource - just not alone. In order to best utilize Duolingo someone needs to be using some sort of grammar book alongside it. Maybe that's just a personal preference and how I learn best and others can get away with just using something like Duolingo. 

• 1 month later...

I've been studying German, and Duolingo has helped me quite a bit. Although it really lacks in the grammar department, I find it very helpful for learning new vocabulary, and just getting a general feel for the language. I make up for it not having grammar by talking to German speakers, using Memrise, and studying from a basic German grammar book. All in all, I've made way more progress that I would have thought I could.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2014 at 1:09 PM, Mafdet said:

Duolingo is, in my opinion, the best site to start learning a new language. It's still developing but they already have platforms for German, French, Italian and Spanish.

Has anyone of you tried it?

YES! It's awesome, the way it makes you have to re-do things you messed up in order to move on. And it's free!