Linguaholic

Devanagari

Hedonologist

How did you learn to use the Devanagari script? Did you learn each letter by rote, and then just read to gain fluency or did you use any other method? I've tried writing English sentences with Devanagari, but I was curious to see if there were any other methods people used.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hey Hedonologist. I learned by wrote but I used many books to help me. Two books that were extremely helpful for me were these:

http://www.amazon.com/Read-Write-Hindi-Script-Yourself/dp/0071759921/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394315146&sr=1-1&keywords=hindi+script

http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-100-Words-Hindi-ebook/dp/B002IUZM26/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394315175&sr=1-1&keywords=first+one+hundred+words+in+hind

Both these books were extremely helpful. I started learning Hindi a long time ago, I think I was 14 or 15, and I am 23 now, so there was this site that had Hindi video lessons on how to write the script, but I cant't seem to find anymore. You can use this site though:

http://www.avashy.com/hindiscripttutor.htm

Now I mainly just read and write in it for practice. But if you are learning I suggest that you practice at least thirty minutes everyday and practice as much as you can. If you can get a course book with audio listen to it and try to read a long. The script is 100 percent phonetic and is easy. After a while you will get the hang off it. It's also a very useful script to learn because afterward you can read Marathi, Nepali and Sanskrit. It will also be useful if you want to learn Punjabi, Bengali or Gujurati because the scripts all work similarly. I really love how easy the Hindi script was, I'm trying to learn Hiragana and Katakana right now and I'm struggling with it, I think Devanagari is much easier. Anyway good luck and if you need any help or any more advice don't hesitate to ask. :) 

• 2 years later...

My primary language is Nepali,  which is also written in Devanagari script. There are many languages used in Indian sub continent which are written in Devanagari script, for instance Hindi,Nepali,  Sanskrit etc. Some European scholars have tried to introduce Roman script for Nepali and Hindi language, however, many sounds popularly used in Devanagari script are missing in Roman script. However, after the evolution of social media, youngsters have tried to use Hindi and Nepali in roman script.

• 4 years later...