Linguaholic

A Fun Way to Recognize Your Grammar Mistakes

Nyandroid

This is informative. Now I know the appropriate uses of fewer and less. And number 9 confirms my doubt that some of my native English speaking colleagues are using it wrong! Lol! No, it's not because they sound 'of' but they actually mean 'have'. Some texted me using of, not have. Lol! BUT could these be old English? Someone told me so.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nyandroid, thanks so much for posting that link! That website looks like so much fun, I just love it! I wonder if they have other ones for say French and Italian.

But the thing about the English language is that as easy as I find it, because I've spoken it all my life, those mistakes are made by everyone, including and maybe especially native speakers! I even see it in some of the eBooks I read and just cringe.

The one that really gets my goat but seems to have become acceptable is "could of", which should really be "could have"! I hear it, I see it written and I'm just like .....grrr!! I know language evolves, but this is something else!

• 4 weeks later...

The first person or third person thing is what I find to be my stumbling block. I tend to forget about the rules and get confused. I can not tell which is right to say. "This is she / her" when referring to oneself. Same goes with between me and I. Is there a better explanation because the infographic did not provide me a better explanation or examples.

I found an infograph that might help you realize your mistakes in English.  Also, it might even give you the ability to laugh at yourself more when you make these mistakes.  Hope you enjoy it :)

http://dailyinfographic.com/15-grammar-mistakes-that-can-make-you-look-silly-infographic

I've made some of these mistakes before in my lifetime, so just remember no one is perfect.  Learn to laugh at yourself and you'll find English learning to be a piece of cake!

I admit, although I have already gained a Bachelor's Degree in English Language, I still do commit grammar errors/mistakes once in a while. I guess it is just a proof that we're not that perfect.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this infograph. Very relevant and helpful.

I think these are common mistakes of most English speakers. I even make some mistakes sometimes lol. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and do not be humiliated by it. It is common to make mistakes and to acknowledge it is even better. I know some people who belittle other people's grammar or sentence construction. But for me, you cannot be weighed by your ability to create a perfect sentence. It's your attitude in life that makes you who you are. Not some little mistake in a paragraph, or Facebook post. 

The Dangling particle one really good! I think many people do this by mistake, but it's only because your native language's sentence order is not the same than english sentence's word order. You try to speak a foreign language sentence with english words.

for example:
"Már megint kifutott a kávé pedig ma takarítottam le a tűzhelyet" (The coffe's run out again, but I just cleaned the oven today.)

word-to-word translation

Again run out the coffee, but today just I cleaned the oven.

It's sounds and looks weird, right?

There are words for which I still have to think twice: "lose" and "loose" are definitely two of them (as in the infographic), the same goes with "sensitive" and "sensible". I find that while I speak I often mix up "work" and "job", and I hate making this kind of mistakes. I'm sure there are other cases I'm forgetting. What other worlds you guys find tricky?

It's great and all, but I was actually hoping for has, have and the likes. I think that's where my problem is. I can't remember exactly so I'm not too sure, which is weird. I know I'm struggling with something though. Anyway, I agree with what Wanda said. I think this is written for native English speakers. I've always found it ironic that the native English speakers keep making these basic grammatical mistakes most of us non-Native English speakers seem to never struggle with. 

Thank you for posting this.  I'm trying to become a writer, so this will help me greatly.  Don't be too hard on yourself when you make a mistake.  I know many people who speak English as their native language, who make a lot of these mistakes.