Linguaholic

The one thing you dread the most when learning a new language?

Trellum

I love learning languages, even tho I don't really have that much time to learn a new language anymore.  I still like the idea of learning languages, specially languages i really need to learn, like for example dutch.  But there is one thing I really dread about learning a new languages: speaking it in public and then have the natives laugh at my accent or make fun of me in any other way.

I know a lot people will make fun of me when I try to speak it in public, they might do it in front of me or behind my back.  I don't mind the latter actually :P  I know my boyfriend will make jokes about it, even if he means it in a playful way... It will still hurt my confidence.

So what about you?  What's the one thing (or maybe things) you dread the most when learning a new language?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Speaking is my weak point as well. Even if others don't laugh at me, I always feel embarrassed when I make mistakes. I think speaking is hard for everyone who's learning a language, mainly because it's hard to practice speaking. For things like writing, listening, and reading you can practice, practice, and practice and you'll eventually get better. But for speaking... it's not like you can talk to yourself right?

(even if you can, it's not like you can correct yourself)

Yeah, it's really hard is you are a really self-conscious person, just like I am.  That's why I'm so susceptible to negative comments and remarks.  When I started speaking English I felt so shy, but after a while i got used to it.  I guess the same will happen with dutch, I can only hope!  Speaking the language in public will be so hard, I guess this happens to everyone no matter how easy the language you are learning is.

Most definitely. I've been taking 3 years of Japanese and I still get nervous when I speak to people. Even if it's just simple conversation, I'm afraid that I'll make mistakes.

My speaking skills are also bad so maybe that's why I'm afraid. If I had the skills, I probably wouldn't be as afraid to speak up.

Speaking is definitely the most difficult; I'm constantly worrying about whether I've horribly screwed

something up pronunciation-wise, which could be disastrous when dealing with a language like Mandarin, for example.

It really depends, but as far as Japanese goes (which I am currently studying: English is just there because I have english classes in school. I'm however so fluent in English that I don't go to the classes, I just take the exams and still get A's...) I'm really afraid of not understanding the grammar and listening to it.

As I'm not focusing on writing or speaking it myself, I simply worry that I won't be able to understand it as quickly as they speak, which will definately be a problem at first. (when I've learned "enough" but my knowledge isn't "fast enough").

As far as reading goes, I will have all the time in the world to read a sentence in half an hour if that's what it takes, but with speech... You can't really do that, unless you fancy pausing the movie you're watching, or something like that.

I'll learn eventually, but I'm really not looking forward to the day where I "know enough" but I don't know it "fast enough". Just a matter of practise though, as with everything.

I think this applies to every language in general for me too, with speaking I don't actually mind having a bad accent, as long as they understand me. And when I'm speaking myself, I can speak slowly, and they will probably still understand what I'm saying (even if they would find it funny).

I completely understand, a friend of mine is trying to learn japanese and I must say it doesn't seem easy at all.  I actually admire all those who dare to learn it, because I know it's a very hard language!  I cant even imagine myself trying to learn it.  Dutch seems so simple if I compare it to Japanese :o  I'm actually glad I need to learn Dutch and not japanese!  Phew!

I've heard a lot about japanese... the writing and the dialects, plus other things. Kudos on studying that language :)  The only language I think is harder than japanese is Chinese... yikes!

Well it's reassuring to know that Dutch is easy because I plan to learn Dutch after Japanese xD

Actually when we learn Japanese, we are usually taught the standard dialect (Tokyo dialect). We don't have to worry about other dialects unless we actually want to go to that place and live there. Japanese is a hard language, but I like it a lot so I find it fun. It's definitely challenging though... especially the speaking portions because there are many words that sound the same but have different meaning.

Definitely the grammar. I find it a lot easier to remember pronunciation and spelling than I do with remembering all the grammar terms and rules and everything.

It is funny to see how in this kind of thread everyone seems to have a completely different opinion. The most difficult aspect for me would be Speaking, however I do not have the same feeling for all language. In Chinese, for instance, I have more problems in Listening than Speaking. This is, I believe largely due to the fact that Chinese is tonal (4 different tones and 1 neutral one).

Grammar drives me crazy. It confuses me. When I was learning Japanese, I was so confused by everything. I kept mixing my words. I couldn't remember the tenses and stuff. The formal and informal forms of words drove me nuts.

Speaking the language for the first time and mispronouncing it to the point where the instructor can not understand the main content. I have always attempted to my best to get every form correct before I have an actual conversation on the subject.

Well it's reassuring to know that Dutch is easy because I plan to learn Dutch after Japanese xD

Actually when we learn Japanese, we are usually taught the standard dialect (Tokyo dialect). We don't have to worry about other dialects unless we actually want to go to that place and live there. Japanese is a hard language, but I like it a lot so I find it fun. It's definitely challenging though... especially the speaking portions because there are many words that sound the same but have different meaning.

Well, if you are brave enough to learn japanese, I'm sure that you will find dutch easy to learn.  If you manage to master japanese, then you will surely manage to master dutch.  By the way, why are you planning to learn dutch?  Are you planning to visit the country or move there?

A friend of mine is trying to learn japanese, for me the hardest part (from what he and you say)  are the darn dialects!  They sound like the most complicated part of learning japanese.

Grammar drives me crazy. It confuses me. When I was learning Japanese, I was so confused by everything. I kept mixing my words. I couldn't remember the tenses and stuff. The formal and informal forms of words drove me nuts.

I don't like to learn a language by focusing on the grammatical forms in the books, most text books I've seen are so wrong!  Because they first focus on the grammar and an endless list of exercises.  As a former teacher and an actual student, I can tell you that some people can't learn a language this way.  Some people need to practice the language on a daily basis if possible. 

Actually (I know I have mentioned this many times before, but believe me,  I need to do it again!) I learnt English on my own when I was 16 years old, no memorizing examples of tenses or grammatical forms never helped me.  Hence I just can't stand grammar and books full of it!

It is funny to see how in this kind of thread everyone seems to have a completely different opinion. The most difficult aspect for me would be Speaking, however I do not have the same feeling for all language. In Chinese, for instance, I have more problems in Listening than Speaking. This is, I believe largely due to the fact that Chinese is tonal (4 different tones and 1 neutral one).

Chinese is really hard to learn :o  I respect so much all those folks who have dared to learn it.  I have heard so much about this language, but there are so many things I don't know about it.  I did know about it being a tonal language, but I've always had such a hard time trying to understand that.  For someone like me it's hard to imagine, since my mother is Spanish... a language that has nothing to do with Chinese! 

So for people like us, I really think that listening would be harder than speaking it, at least when it comes to Chinese ;)

The main part of learning another language that I dread the most is grammar. I find grammar to be annoying. I typically pay attention to detail, but when it comes to grammar, it's always the unknown for me. It's way too ambiguous. So when I'm learning another language, I often stumble on the grammar part because I can't handle it in my own language. Perhaps one day, I'll let go of the fear of grammar and learn another language with pure confidence, in hopes to actually get it right through and through.

I don't dread exactly anything, for me it's a challenger that I hunger for, but at the same time it's like a huge mountain we have to climb so for me it's the big picture, the whole process and not something in particular.