Linguaholic

Tricks for memorizing french verbs?

Canadien

I've been taking french language courses in school since the elementary grades, but one issue I've always had was with verbs. To me it seems so daunting to try and study, learn, and remember the french word for basically everything. Do I just need to sit down and go through flashcard after flashcard? Or is there any other way that I can speed up the memorization process?

If you've got any tips I'd be eager to hear them, as verbs (and speaking) are my biggest difficulty with the french language at the moment. Thank you!

• 9 months later...

Bonjour fellow language learner!

I know its hard to master all the verbs, but the only way to do so is to MEMORIZE them. It doesn't need to be a burden or a pain; all you need to do is to motivate yourself and challenge yourself. Don't start big right away, you might get overwhelmed and discouraged. Starting with 2 to 3 words a day can do wonders. In a month's time you could remember around 60 new verbs! Try to use those verbs whenever you can to store them to your long-term memory. To really remember the words, you have to be alongside them for a lot of time. That is LIVING THE LANGUAGE.

Good luck and hope this helps!

• 7 months later...

A good to learn verbs and other words in general (at least for me) is to use them in writing or conversation, though I find this is especially useful for verbs. It means nothing to memorize the infinitive of a verb if you don't know how to conjugate it. Unless you want to say 'je vais ___' for the rest of your life, practice writing and speaking using a variety of the conjugations. As you start getting comfortable, experiment with the other tenses as well.