Linguaholic

What were your first words?

linguaholic

You might have to ask your parents about this, as you probably won't remember  :wink:

I did not yet ask my parents about it but I guess it must have been something like Mum or Dad..hopefully it was something a little bit more interesting xD  I will ask my parents later today and will let you know. I am excited to hear about your first words :=)

It would also be interesting to hear at which age it actually happened.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

My mum claims that my first word was "dupa" (which means, well, "ass") as a response to her saying "Will you finally go to sleep?". That wasn't exactly a word, more like a random noise made by little children (I was only several months old) so I don't think it counts :P I think my first word was "mama" but I'm not really sure at the moment.

Thank you for sharing this funny story Czarownica  :tongue:

I'm going to ask ask my parents tonight about my first words..but I am pretty sure that in my case, my first words were something trivial like mum or dad. However, a few years later, according to my mum, I  had a talent to pronounce (to roll) the letter R at a very young age , (often used in swiss-german), so I was always annoying my mother with R-words :=))

May I ask you why your nickname is witch? Is there a story behind it or is it just random? I'm curious about it :cool:

I'm sure mine were something common like mom or dad, too. I am, told, however, that when I was very, very young and not yet able to talk, I came running to my parents saying, "nake! nake!" Eventually they followed me outside, and I proudly led them to a rattlesnake I had found (we lived in the country).

So after mom and dad, I think "snake" was my first word. I'm still trying to figure out how a baby barely able to stumble around on two legs was left alone unsupervised long enough to find a rattlesnake!

Great question.  English is my native language and I asked my mother what my first words were and she did not remember precisely.  She thinks it was "Mom" or "Ma" or some close equivalent. 

She did say she remembers that I learned to say "No" very early on.  We both laughed about that.

May I ask you why your nickname is witch? Is there a story behind it or is it just random? I'm curious about it :cool:

I'm afraid there's no funny story behind that :P I just like witches and I think I have all the necessary characteristics of one :P (i.e. being stubborn and very easily bored, among other things :P)

I was hoping to come here and share a cool story but unfortunately my parents don't remember. After some thought they said that I said, "Mommy" but I have a feeling they are just giving into the cliche.

I can share my first Spanish word though. The first Spanish word I can recall hearing is "Cucaracha" or perhaps more accurately "La Cucaracha". I was 6 and was at a birthday party. We were playing musical chairs to the Spanish hit song "La Cucaracha", which translates to "The Cockroach". For the next few weeks "La Cucaracha" was the only thing I'd hum and sing even after hearing what it meant!

I have to ask my parents! I have absolutely no idea! I guess it would be something generic like "mama" or "papa".

My first Japanese word, which I learned when I was 9 was, ironically "bakayarou!". Yes, I was watching some old Japanese movie with a lot of fight scenes and the villain kept calling the hero "bakayarou!".

My mum claims that my first word was "dupa" (which means, well, "ass") as a response to her saying "Will you finally go to sleep?". That wasn't exactly a word, more like a random noise made by little children (I was only several months old) so I don't think it counts :P I think my first word was "mama" but I'm not really sure at the moment.

Hilarious!

As for me..well I don't really remember. My parents did tell me once before but it's just slipped my mind.

As far as I can remember, I think it was "ball" or something similar is what they told me.

I'm not sure, and my parents aren't here for me to ask, but I'm going to assume that it's either "Mammy" or "Daddy". After all I think most kids start of with those words. I've probably said a lot of gibberish already even before that but it wouldn't count as a proper word so  :wacky:

You seriously think I'd remember that?! I'm wanting to say "no" because that seems to be what most kids learn first, however I'm told that my first word was "moot" which my parents eventually realised meant raisins. I was an odd child.

The first word I used was Nay, short for Nanay. It's a tagalog word we use to call out mother. Since my mother is the one taking care of me most of the time. That is the first word she taught me because of how I will call her. We all know that when we try to teach a baby to talk for the first time, you'll notice that they always say the last syllable of the word. For instance for Mommy, the baby will copy it getting only the last syllables making it MI.

Technically, I first said 'caca' which may or may not be a word depending on your stance. I like to say that I could speak french right away...

I'm not even sure if my first words even count because I think I was just spouting gibberish and some of the sounds I made were actually words.

My mother told me my first word was "go" followed by "ma" and "blue."

I totally want a kid whose first words are something crazy like "antidisestablishmentarianism" or something!

I am pretty sure that my first words were Dada and Mama!  Soon after that I said balloon because I loved chasing after them.  I can remember trying to say molasses and saying glasses instead.  I could not pronounce the mol for some reason. 

My first word was "ya" or so my parents claim.  So I was trying to say "yes" to be precise.  My second word was "nah" but I meant "no".  I was responding to my parents at the time about eating apple sauce and yogurt respectively.  I wish I had something more unique to offer but I'm telling you the truth. 

I hope someone posts something really interesting in this thread like "i want more" as their first words or "i'm walking".  I'm looking forward to the responses.