Linguaholic

What do you think would be the best motivator for learning a language?

Trellum

To me I think there isn't really one single "best" motivator but more what is best for each person which can vary quite a bit- just like anything else in life, people can have largely different motivators but if it works for you and it's strong enough to keep you dedicated than there's nothing wrong with that. I think all the things you mentioned could be strong motivators...along with perhaps wanting to learn to better connect with family and friends and heritage, wanting to feel like a bit more of a 'global citizen' so to speak, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have heard almost everything already!  I've heard of people learning a language because they think that will open a lot doors, like for example finding a better paying job or because they want to move abroad and start working there. 

Others have or are learning a new language for love (me included), others do it because they love the culture of the country where said language is spoken.  Others just enjoy learning new languages and think of it as a really entertaining hobby!

If I was asked this very same question I'd say the biggest motivator (at least for me) is to know that I'm learning a language I'll be using on a daily basis very soon.  A language that will actually be useful for me and really necessary to learn :)  That makes me feel good about investing my time in learning said language.

What about you?

My best motivator would be to be a great translator, and earn good money at being a great translator.

• 1 month later...

I think the best motivator would be survival. Being dropped off in a country where none speaks the language you're accustomed to is a challenge. You have to try to learn what's being said, even if it sounds gibberish to you, you have to learn the currency so you can buy essentials and then you have to interact with people to get social queues and the what things to say to help you in your time there much easier. If that doesn't make you learn a new language, I don't know what will.