Linguaholic

Great app to learn any language!

2times

Hello, everyone! i found a great app, yes it is FREE, and you can learn any language you want at your pace and on your free time! The app is called Rosetta Stone. You might have seen this program being advertised on tv for $20, but now it is in app form, for FREE!! I love it, it is very clear and easy to navigate and use. This app is great at teaching you correct form of pronunciation (which is my favorite part of the app, it lets me know that i can say the word with confidence and no thought of saying it incorrectly).

I hope that you can find this app and you find it to be very useful! Let me know which language you use it for and how it is working out for you!

Well, even if this app is "free", Rosetta Stone is a service that charges a lot for it's services. I do not wish to try this free app, because I have a strong feeling it will mainly be used to make people buy their services.

And with that being said, I do not think any language learning service is worth that amount of money. I mean seriously... That's a LOT of money. I understand if you're going to pay X amount of dollars to learn the kanji in a fancy way (uh... WaniKani) but this really feels like throwing money into the lake.

What's the point of this "free" app anyway? What does it offer that we cannot find elsewhere in a better/completely free format?

I think there are parts of the app that are offered for free, but to really get anything out of it, you have to buy the full version. I also think there are other apps/sites that have the same services that Rosetta charges you for for free. Lots of other services that are cheaper but just as good!

I don't know if it was another version of Rosetta Stone that i had downloaded, but everything on it was free and I did not see any place where you could buy app add-ons.

UPDATE!! the app is called ROSETTA COURSE!!!! I am so so sorry for the mix up!! this app is completely free!!

Is this a fairly new app? I was able to find it on iTunes, but sadly it doesn't seem to be available on Windows phone.

Thanks, I've downloaded it to check out :D

I don't have a problem with services that have limited versions of their paid services for free to entice customers. Quite the contrary, a good product has every right to command a solid price and allowing customers to see what they will be getting is sensible marketing tool for both parties.

Thanks, I've downloaded it to check out :D

I don't have a problem with services that have limited versions of their paid services for free to entice customers. Quite the contrary, a good product has every right to command a solid price and allowing customers to see what they will be getting is sensible marketing tool for both parties.

Yes, I would only accept to pay for services that are truly worth it. I've paid for apps that are absolutely essential for my line of work. So I do not totally dismiss these limited service apps.

Thanks for posting the app suggestion!

Rosetta stone was offering up a free trial of their service. I do think that this is just to suck people in to buying the full program , I would not be suprised to see add ons go on sell a some point in time for this app. However as long as it is free why not take adavntage.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother once got hyped about Rosetta Stone and downloaded 10 different languages, it didn't really keep him interested for that long. He found them somewhere online for free, and I'm thinking of maybe checking them out eventually, just to see if they're any good.

I thought that you needed a subscription to sign up for Rosetta Stone, right? I always see advertisements and stuff for it in airports and whatnot, and it seems to be more of a premium thing really.

I thought that you needed a subscription to sign up for Rosetta Stone, right? I always see advertisements and stuff for it in airports and whatnot, and it seems to be more of a premium thing really.

Yes.

Nothing in this world is "free", lol.

UPDATE!! the app is called ROSETTA COURSE!!!! I am so so sorry for the mix up!! this app is completely free!! 

:laugh:    That's more like it!  Knowing what Rosetta Stone charges for their language courses, I just couldn't see them giving an app away free unless it somehow needed to be connected to one of their courses.

Thank you for correcting this... now I won't need to go find it to figure it out!  :grin:

• 1 month later...

Recently while perusing the Play store, I came across Babbel. Of course, I knew it wouldn't be completely free, but the initial amount of beginning lessons was amazing! The interface was nice and bright, Orange I believe, and the beginning lessons themselves covered pretty much everything you need to just go with basic intro conversation, or springboard into in depth study. I also believe that you could download the intro lessons. The number of lessons was easily upper 20's. I was beginning my Portugese, but got sidetracked. I am going to look into it again.

For those who want to learn the Japanese language or would like to expand their Japanese vocabulary, I suggest you download the app "Imiwa" on your phone. It's free and very easy to navigate. It also shows how it is written in kana/kanji. There are also items categorized per JLPT level.

So, did anyone try out the Rosetta course app? Is it made by Rosetta Stone? I don't know about the Rosetta Stone course, but most of you don't seem to like them. Should I try out the Rosetta Course app out or not? If you tried the app out, is it completely free? Does it come on android? How is it different from Duolingo, is it better?

Sorry for all the questions, I would just like to know if the app is worth the wile. Thanks :)

Yes, it is Rosetta Stone. The amount of money RS spends on advertising ought to tell people how useless their method is. Anything that really works doesn't need to be plastered everywhere and shoved down your throat. They make all sorts of bad assumptions about adult learning. I have never heard of anyone who got anywhere with RS. The reviews on the web of actual users are almost universally negative. I found the program horrible.

A much better app is Duolingo.

Thanks for the heads-up. As I've said, I've never heard of Rosetta Stone beforehand. Looks like I'm not missing out on much. I'm currently using Duolingo and it's really helpful, So I will stick to it and forget about Rosetta Stone. Thank you again.