Linguaholic

What sparked your desire to learn another language?

deathbyprayer

Hasn't a thread like this been made like 5000 times before? Haha...

I'll just say what I've said in every other thread like this:

I started learning english because it's part of the curriculum. Really, that's it.

I started learning german because it's part of the curriculum. Yep, that too. (I did have a choice between Spanish, French and German, but you HAD to pick one.)

I started learning Japanese because I'm heavily interested in japanese culture and entertainment. My goal is to be able to watch drama/anime, read novels/manga/visual novels, in japanese. I have no intention of speaking the language myself, but those skills might be picked up on anyway.

Yes, unfortunately I just made one like this, not realising it existed.  :confused:

I don't really have a reason for learning an individual language. I just wanted to learn a language, and I happened to have a few Russian tapes lying around. Same reason I'm learning Polish next :P

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

This is a pretty popular question, huh? Lol. I've just always wanted to- for as long as I can remember. When I was little I wanted to learn literally every language imaginable...but I've limited it down to just a few for now ;). There are other reasons, and they're all valid, but that's the heart of it for me. I just really wanted to, so I did.

It's probably for work reasons. I work for a Korean boss. Although he is against us learning Korean, you can't help but pick up a word or two from them. Plus, Korean shows are highly popular in the Philippines these days. So, you kind of jump the bandwagon.

Of course its cool to learn another language but what really made you push though into learning a new one? Most of us might say that "Oh I studied Italian because I'm going to Italy soon" but other than that, what lead you into thinking that "Hey, I really want to learn how to write and speak this language"?

Being amongst Hispanics, who did not know English and neither did I know their laguage, that is what sparked me to start learning Spanish.

My parents are both Croatian, but never managed to teach me the language. I don't blame them though. I was born in Germany and grew up with everyone around me speaking German and Croatian was the language my parents would argue with eachother, haha. So I strictly refused to learn it as a kid.

And now, after many years, I am kind of sad I have to stick to English when I want to communicate with my relatives in Croatia.

I do understand quite a bit, but I am far away from being able to say more than "Hello/How are you/Happy Birthday etc.". But this will change now and I am really looking forward to learn it.