Linguaholic

Why are you studying language?

JoshD1990

Why do you study languages?

This may sound like an odd answer, but one of the reasons I enjoy languages so much is looking for similarities in words... patterns that are found in one language to the next. 

It's always amazing to discover very similar base words even in very different languages.

My interest in languages started when I was a teen, I just want to challenge myself and see how far I could get.  I wanted to learn a lot languages, as many as I could, sadly I fell super short.  I wanted to learn a couple dead languages, as well as some indo-european ones.  There were languages I'd never be willing to learn tho, like for example dutch and japanese.

Things have changed now, I will just learn a language I know I will be using on a daily basis in the future, but learning languages just because is no longer an option.

I like studying languages for the purpose of easy communication with people wherever I go. Even though English has become the most important language worldwide, there are still countries where hardly anyone speaks that language. That's when it comes in handy to be in command of several different languages.

I live in the Faroe Islands where everyone has to learn Danish because we are still partly ruled by the Danish government and growing up in Denmark helped me become fluent in Danish very quickly and my knowledge of Danish and Faroese combined has provided me with the ability to understand both Swedish and Norwegian due to all the languages being so strongly related. Of course like everyone else I was taught English in school and due to reading a lot of English books and the internet I am now as fluent as a native English speaker. My interest in German music made me determined to learn German and hence I made the extra effort in German class in school. Knowing so many languages made me want to learn more. Anime and Manga made me want to learn Japanese and meeting some new friends from China last year sparked my interest in Mandarin and now I am completely in love with South American music so I will start studying Spanish soon. I am good at learning languages and I want to use that in my career somehow, which is why I now want to learn as many languages as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Languages are awesome, learning a language makes you smarter and opened up for new cultures that's why i love learning and known a language or two isn't enough. Plus it makes you communicate with people easily if you're learning a world wide language.

I completely agree with the statements above about how language makes you smarter, which has been supported by numerous studies. I am learning a new language for the same reason, and also as a means of communicating with more people. These new people could begin as people of same interests and hobbies, and as my relationships and friendships grow, it may eventually introduce me to new interests and hobbies.

For instance, I have been living in South Korea for about 1 year now, and through some of the locals I have met and befriended, I have been exposed to K-pop, which in the past I was quite neutral about, but today I can genuinely say I have an interest in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the United States and I have never traveled outside of the country. I would love to live somewhere where french is spoken. I am studying language because it allows you to learn about other cultures. You can also expand your network when you are able to communicate with different types of people.

I study language because I think it's the least you can do when in a different place/country. If you're a foreigner, people can understand that you're trying you're best to understand their culture if you're making an effort to learn their language. And also because it's just fun and challenging.  :smile:

I am studying languages because it will open a world of opportunities for me. I will be able to discover other cultures, connect with other people, and increase my job prospects. I think, however, the biggest reason is just for the sake of learning. The learning process in a language can be quite frustrating, but is always very rewarding as time goes on. I love that it is a continuous journey, and never a final destination.

I just wanted to understand what the people are saying in Spanish, since that language is widely used in many countries. As for learning German, I just got curious because Rammstein is my favorite foreign band, so I feel the need to understand what they are saying because the beat of their songs is awesome.

Currently, I am studying both French and American Sign Language. I've been in French for about two years. I am just beginning to take American Sign language. I decided to take another language because I find it fascinating about the different ways we communicate and how it impacts our culture. After American Sign Language, I will learn a new language.

I am learning a new language because I'm living in a new country. I am amazed at how many people outside of the US speak multiple languages. I really wish I had started learning a new language as a child. I didn't start until high school and I find it more difficult to learn new languages now as an adult. I am working really hard though because I rely too much on my English while living in a foreign country.