Linguaholic

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

christendenkt

Guten Tag!

I have always loved languages. I started with French, studying it for six years. After some upheavals in life, I abandoned French and turned to Italian. I really enjoyed it, but like French, I realized the sing-songy aspect of the language (compared to English, that is) was holding me back. For reasons I can't explain, I never felt comfortable with the words on my tongue. I moved on to Attic Greek, a language no longer spoken but interesting in its structure. At the same time, I started taking German courses. The two worked with each other. Before I knew it, I was majoring in German. I had fallen in love with the language. It felt so great to speak, and I craved more! Interestingly, I learned only later that my grandfather was born in Germany and immigrated to the United States as a child. I spent a month in Berlin one year, was certified as a speaker through the Goethe Institute, and graduate college - only to speak it a few times a year while traveling through Eastern Europe.  :sad:

I've recently discovered Duolingo, and am excited to see that I still have some of my German skills! I currently am a professional writing tutor to college students, many of whom are ESL students. My various language classes are a great asset in this relationship; I'm able to approach the students as language learners, as well as writers.

I joined this forum in the hopes that I can find more immersion opportunities, be it through post exchanges, reading recommendations, or even apps and videos that are helpful. Share everything!

Thanks for having me. Tschuss!

Thank you for that lovely introduction christendenkt! And to answer your question: Ja, ich spreche Deutsch. Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. Allerdings bin ich Schweizer, aber in der Schweiz sprechen wir ja auch Deutsch :=)

You seem to have a lot of passion for languages, we have that in common! It's great having you here. I hope we can have many interesting discussions about languages and language learning!

kind regards from Switzerland

lingua

Wow, Lingua! It looks like you have quite a few varied languages under your belt! That is fabulous.

One of the greatest benefits of speaking German (though I am not fluent; only wish to be) is the spread of the language across Europe. When I traveled through Poland and the Czech Republic, when English did not, German was helpful. When that failed, my then-boyfriend's Russian came in handy.

I am hoping to return to Europe many times! Thank you for introducing yourself to me!

--c.

• 1 month later...

I had German in school - four years in elementary school, four in high school. Then I enrolled college and seemed to forget about it. It's been three years since I didn't speak a word of German (I study English language and lit. and Latin language and Roman lit.). I've been to Germany twice, true, but I am not comfortable speaking German yet - may be because of the long break. I like it, though - I like Germanic languages in general. After all, English roots are Germanic as well. I've already mentioned it somewhere, but I wish I could learn Old English - that would be my dream. The second I'd heard our lit. teacher read Beowulf, I'd fallen in love with OE. It just sounds so... beautiful and mysterious.

Hope you'll find what you're looking for.

P.S. I know some of Attic Greek as well ;) How long have you been learning it?