Linguaholic

Why did you start studying?

Meerkat

I started studying English because it's mandatory to get a good job. It's kinda forced in my school to speak no language other than English (unless we're in Filipino class) and I'm fine with that.

Another language that we're kinda forced to learn is Mandarin. My classmates don't take Mandarin classes seriously and I don't get anything in Mandarin. Lucky for me it won't affect my average if I fail Mandarin.

I'm interested in learning Spanish though.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think the ability to speak multiple languages, especially if you're able to do so at a fluent or even semi-fluent level is the one of the greatest assets one could possess and also a great sense of personal satisfaction. No reason to wait to learn a language only when it is required by your job, it is so much more than that.

Well I am studying as a requirement for college. However, it is a great way to get into different types of cultures. It is always good to expand your communication skills and language is one of them. I plan to learn at least six languages before I am satisfied.  :grin:

I grew up in a small town. There were less than 100 students from K-12.  The only language offered was French and that was taught by the 5/6 grade teacher.  I was able to take 3 years of French because the third year no one was interested in taking 2nd year Spanish so I became her only student for that year.  I went on to take more in college and then studied in Switzerland for a year.  When I came back from my year my highschool French teacher had to ask me to slow down so she could understand what I was saying. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started studying languages because I was tired of taking so many years of Spanish in middle and high school and not being fluent. So I decided that I would teach myself Spanish to become fluent. I am still working on the fluency part, but there is a level of satisfaction I gain when I speak to a native and they are impressed with my language skills (or perhaps they're being polite). And I know there was a study that said that language learning releases dopamine when one sees the reward of accomplishing a new word or having a successful conversation in a different language.

When I studied Spanish it was because that was part of the courses offered for my University degree. There was no way I could skip it.

French I did study for the mere fact that it was free. The same thing was true when I took Arabic lessons. I believe I can be pushed to study any foreign language when it is needed for a job that I really like to do. Or maybe, if I live in a place where there are more people speaking the same language that I don't, I will be more motivated to study since I'll be left out. Besides more people speaking the same language means I can really practise what I'll learn.

First, because it was required of us. Part of the curriculum, you see. Then, I got hooked up with Nihongo due to Anime but got no one to talk to so it was a bit unproductive (talked to myself most of the time that everyone who heard me thought I've gone barmy). Few years after, I relocated to an Arabic country and basically it's a must that I speak Arabic yet, I'm still hopeless at it. It's not that hard but I found that there are languages close to your heart that wanting to learn them come easy unlike others that even if you gave your hardest you'd still find yourself back to square one.