Linguaholic

Translate this 2!

User raytalks started a previous thread introducing 4 common expressions, and asking others to translate them in any language that they know. I find it to be a good thread and thought that it'd be fun to continue what he started.

Rules are the same: Translate the expression, specify the language, and if possible the pronunciation.

Happy learning a new language, everyone!

Good afternoon. ---->

Where do you live? --->

What is your nationality? --->

What is your job? --->

I wish I could type in American Sign Language, that would be much more interesting than just doing Spanish which is the only other thing I know well. Anyways, here's the Spanish translation (sans accent marks and upside down question mark):

Good Afternoon. ---> Buenas tardes.

Where do you live? ---> Donde vives?

What is your nationality ---> Cual es su nacionalidad?

What is your job? ---> En que trabajas?

Polish:

Good afternoon. ---->We don't have one! We say "Dzień dobry" (good day) all day, until the evening when we say "Dobry Wieczór" (good evening)

Where do you live? --->Gdzie mieszkasz?

What is your nationality? --->Z jakiego kraju jesteś?

What is your job? --->Czym się zajmujesz / jaką masz pracę?

Serbian:

Good afternoon. ----> Dobar dan. (Good day; there is no greeting for "afternoon" in Serbian)

Where do you live? ---> Gde živiš?

What is your nationality? ---> Koja je tvoja nacionalnost?

What is your job? ---> Čime se baviš?

Right that it is a fun and useful way to learn new language with those some phrases to be translated on languages we know.

There was a Filipino translation already so, I do not need to translate those phrases anymore. It will be great to read some Filipino local dialects translations of those like in Bisaya or Waray. I grew up in Manila so, I could only speak and understand Tagalog/Filipino. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Right that it is a fun and useful way to learn new language with those some phrases to be translated on languages we know.

There was a Filipino translation already so, I do not need to translate those phrases anymore. It will be great to read some Filipino local dialects translations of those like in Bisaya or Waray. I grew up in Manila so, I could only speak and understand Tagalog/Filipino. :)

It is indeed a fun and useful way to learn a new language! I'm Filipino, too. So yeah, there's no need to translate the phrases in Filipino. I'm Cebuano, though so here's the translation of the phrases in our local dialect (Bisaya).

Good afternoon - Maayong hapon!

Where do you live? - Asa ka gapuyo?

What is your nationality? - Unsa imong nacyonalidad?

What is your job? - Unsa imong trabaho?

This is a fun thread, although not sure how helpful in general, but I guess if somebody is looking for these specific phrases in ANY language, here might be a good thread to find them :-)

GERMAN

Good afternoon: Guten Abend!

Where do you live?: Wo wohnst du? (infm) / Wo wohnen Sie? (formal)

What is your nationality?: Aus welchem Land kommst du? / Aus welchem Land kommen Sie?

What is your job? Was machst du beruflich? Was machen Sie beruflich?

This is a cool thread! I'm studying Swedish right, so here some expressions in Swedish:

Good afternoon. ----> God eftermiddag.

Where do you live? ---> Var bor du någonstans?

What is your nationality? ---> Vilken nationalitet har ni? (This might not be completely correct)

What is your job? ---> Vad jobbar du med? (This translates to 'What do you do for a living?', but it's not a big difference from the original question.)