Linguaholic

English Proficiency Test

takibari

I went with TOEFL as I think it's the most used and one that's readily available across the globe. I believe it's offered pretty much everywhere. IELTS would probably be the second most common. I'd never even heard of the last two!

It is really difficult to choose only since all of them are important methods of gauging one's English proficiency. I have taken TOEIC in college, and I think among those other tests, TOEIC is what every university requires students to take. TOEFL is more like a professional exam. It is like a gateway to be able to teach the English language.

• 1 month later...

I went through a Cambridge one through Italki, it was just 10 dollars so why not?
It had lots of questions that had little to no relevance to language skills, but instead the questions were all focussed on emphasis around the way English speakers talk.
So in other words: pure bullcrap!

It does have a "B2" level attached to my Italki profile, but I don't take it as seriously because of the questions.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2014, 12:05:17, Chris4Davi said:

TOEFL is what our universities here in Jamaica use to test non-native speakers. I have heard a few complaints in regards to it being challenging but the majority think it's a walk over. I guess once you know the basic compounds of the English-language then TOEFL will be ideal for you.

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding TOEFL. 

TOEFL is widely accepted but again as everyone has said it depends on the country you are residing in. Most Cambridge Tests are known world-wide but you would have to have them translated and apostatized to be accepted in where you are. But saying that most English exams can be taken in your home country or wherever you are residing and also be accepted. It's just a matter of researching it and asking local schools and Universities. It also depends on what you need it for...

• 3 months later...

In my opinion I think focus should be on the purpose of the Test. If you aim for a job or schooling in Europe, they have their requirements as well as other countries. But there are online English general Tests that can help generally in preparation or to test their language proficiency.

• 5 weeks later...

I took the Cambridge CPE myself, which is IELTS. Some friends had to take TOEFL due to very specific university demands in other countries, but apparently those are only valid for 2 years. That really blew my mind, since IELTS last forever, which makes a lot more sense for me.

For one thing, proficiency exams test native level proficiency, which I have found is the sort of level you're not likely to forget - it feels embedded in your brain like your mother tongue lol, you guys know what I mean? For another, taking an expensive exam every two years just to prove you know a language seems kind of ridiculous. Even driver's licenses last longer, and it's not like you can kill someone by making a grammar mistake!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on your country and on what you are taking the proficiency test for. When I was learning english, I attended some pronunciation classes and we could choose the test we wanted to take at the end of the course. The teacher explained that if we wanted to apply for jobs/universities in Europe we should take IELTS, otherwise we should go for TOEFL. At the time I took IELTS and I got my C2 level certification but now I'm thinking about taking TOEFL too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I went to Boston University TOEFL was the test that all of my friends took for the university level. They all said that they had to take it to be admitted to univeristy and they had to send their scores beforehand. I know that some state schools in California also do the same. I would say to just study for the TOEFL. 

• 1 month later...

I did take both of the "most popular" English proficiency test. Which one is best it's agreed generally here that it depends on the purpose of you taking the test.

Consider the country that you're going to use the test result for. For USA, TOEFL is more common, for UK, Aus, Eu, IELTS are more widely acceptable.They are both can be compared though. For me IELTS is more real cause the speaking test part you are talking to a person, not a computer. At the end of the day, what matter is whether or not the test result can be accountable and useful for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I also think that it really depends on the how you will use your English proficiency test. Here in the Philippines, most foreign nationals who come to study English in our country are preparing themselves for TOEFL. Most of them are Koreans who are also planning to pursue further studies in the US and other English speaking countries.

I myself am more familiar with IELTS because I have taken it 3 times as a requirement for work or study purposes in most English speaking countries. I have passed all 3 IELTS exams but it usually expires after 2 years so it has to be taken over and over again if you're not yet dispatched to your country of choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Its an old thread. But, I wouldn't want to miss out on commenting on this topic. TOEFL is probably the kind of proficiency test that you're looking for - its used by the top business schools, where communication is key. IELTS has different formats for Aus and Canada. And may be used for showing proficiency at work or for academic pursuits. However, there are elements of IELTS that I never liked. For example, you may have to memorize antonyms, synonyms, and what not. Things that you won't even use once you're in school. OTOH TOEFL is pretty relevant - they test you on actual skills, but don't expect you to have dictionaries or thesauruses memorized. So, I would go for TOEFL. Btw, I scored a 115 on toefl, and a 7 on ielts, so pm me if you want any tips.

• 7 months later...
On 23/7/2015 at 0:41 PM, kriegerclone said:

TOEFL is the only English proficiency test available at my university, and from my point of view, it's very efficient. In my country, it became almost mandatory in the past few years for a university graduate to include TOEFL in his/her resume.

Here in Greece we have it also. I think it s more easy that Cambridge or Michigan tests.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I didn't take any of the test, but my mother is in charge of the TOEFL training in her university, so I got to test it for it for fun. It seems that the TOEFL is the test preferred by universities, as it mostly focuses on grammar, whereas the TOEIC is more field-specific, and thus more likely to be required by a company. Though it is subjective. I expect you'd have to have a very good TOEFL score for a job which required you to write in English.
As for the IELTS, from what I know, in France only students applying for masters in the States take it. Hope I was of some help. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/28/2014 at 9:24 PM, takibari said:

hello admin!

I'm not sure if this is the relevant sub-forum to post this poll. But if it isn't, simply remove it or move it. thanks.

===

am just curious about the different standardized exams available to test one's english proficiency. i know the above tests were developed for a certain purpose (TOEFL for university/TOEIC for work (Japan)/IELTS for work (Europe)) but barring that, what do you think is the best exam to take to test your english proficiency? generally, the exam that you believe if you take it and receive a high mark, you're likely to have a higher score in the other exams too.

Students Factory

Students Factory is a largest and longest running Educational Promotion. Students Factory helps to improve the English lingua to the international level by learning new concepts & developing correct usage with the post modern competitive level. We impart our linguistics expertise to provide the highest quality of educational programs to the global educational sector. Students Factory further adds its value with Professional/Corporate Training & Development, Team building sessions, Learning applications & CER initiatives. Our purpose is to inspire the students of today and yesterday for a better tomorrow.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...