Linguaholic

How long does it take?

RhodaDEttore

I think it depends on how fast you can absorb the teachings, it also depends on your environment. It would be faster to learn a language if you speak with native speakers daily and way easier than learning a foreign language on your own. More or less I would say, it takes half a year or less.

• 2 weeks later...

Average usually takes about 4 years or so. That's only if you're diligent, though. Of course, you can always go the route of trying to survive by knowing some basis and be thrust into that country that speaks the language. There were alumni at my college that said that they went to Japan after a few classes of Japanese and was sent there to study abroad and they learned along the way. Some of them had a host family, who they had to resort to charades at times to get their message across.

I have tried to learn French on three separate occasions. We had a new teacher and I started understanding the language. Unfortunately he left and I am just left with a few phrases. My seven year old niece on the other hand can speak fluently in French after only a few lessons. I think that one has to have a great passion to be able to learn a language easily. The more we keep at it, the better we get with time. How long it takes to learn a new language depends on someone.