Linguaholic

Why do you want to learn another language?

A0130

Mainly I do it because I am around a lot of Hispanic people and want to be able to communicate with them.  I have a bit of a background in it so I can build from what I know.  They are great in helping me through the rough spots of my speaking it!

When learning another language there's always a personal or a professional need, getting a new or better job or just to be able to speak the language of those we love. Some do it as a hobby too, but for me the first too reasons would make me learn a new language.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to learn new language as I feel that it brings me closer to a country and its people in and whom I am fascinated with. Also, I want to increase the things I can do. It really feels good when I am able to understand the language of foreign countries and use them, when I can communicate.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of it is communication, and a lot of it is culture. I'm currently learning Spanish because it's a very popular language, especially down in the States where I plan on moving in the future. It would definitely help to be able to communicate!

I think learning a new language gives you a brand new perspective of the world around you. It gives you the right tools for empathy. The next language on the list is Japanese, which I plan on learning sometime in my life. I've always been interested in Japanese things like anime... :P And translations are just not the same, you know?

Our national hero Jose Rizal was known for being a polyglot. The moment I learned that it was an option to learn language, converse and form bonds with people from other cultures without the barrier of language, I knew someday I would be trying to learn other languages. Of course I won't be learning around 21 languages, anytime soon (or ever).  :shy:  :confused:

The primary reason why I wanted to learn foreign languages is because I want to watch movies in their raw/undubbed form and I also want to read books and publications written in their original language. There is always something lost in translation which I believe takes away, even if it is just a little, from the original. Of course, when I say I want to learn a language, I believe that learning about the culture is integral to it.

I'd like to learn Spanish because I see it as an important part of the business world as the market becomes an increasingly global market. Virtually any job that you do in today's day and age can have some use for a bilingual speaker. Also, being in California, there's a tremendous amount of Spanish speakers throughout the State. So anywhere I go, it'll be a valuable skill to have.

Because I wanted to.  I like languages....especially dead ones. I like words... they are important to me.  I'm a writer...it's what I do to pay the bills and put food in my belly.  :laugh:

I see the planet as our collective home and I'd like to be able to speak with as many people as possible. If I only speak one language, I'm limited to only a certain amount of people. I've studied Chinese and am working on Spanish. Once I've mastered both I'll be able to talk to about half of the world's population which is very intriguing to me.

You sound so much like me when I was younger and had a lot spare time :P  But seriously, I'm happy for you, because you obviously want to improve yourself and want to be able to communicate in other languages with a lot people around the world.  Do you travel a lot?

If I had the time I'd probably do the same! Best of luck with everything. I hope you manage to master both Spanish and Chinese, I've heard Chinese poses such a challenge for all its learners, no matter what their mother language is.

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2016, 9:37:46, johnny said:

One of the easiest ways to learn a seond language is explained here.   blemberg.tk/

So your entire method of learning a language is to use Duolingo? You might want to see the thread Should Language Apps be your primary tool for learning a language? FYI - most believe they shouldn't.

3 hours ago, Wanda Kaishin said:

So your entire method of learning a language is to use Duolingo? You might want to see the thread Should Language Apps be your primary tool for learning a language? FYI - most believe they shouldn't.

Newcomers in language learning always think that Duolingo is the ultimate language learning solution.
However, they still have to learn it's just a companion aid, not an entire learning environment.

It's either that, or he simply wanted to show off his website which he seems have just set up. :P

Because it would help when traveling, and even with work! I work in an area with a high amount of Spanish speakers, so learning Spanish would make my job so much easier. The Italian is just for fun, mostly spurred on by learning snippets of Italian from playing a bunch of Assassin's Creed games, haha. :D I mostly when to learn more languages for fun, but it also opens up your universe a little bit more.

For my it's after visiting a country and finding it fascinating, then I just want to know more about it's culture and learning it's language is just a part of that. Right now I've been thinking about learning korea since I had a blast when I went over there with my friends. It is really a fascinating country.

• 1 month later...

Here's what inspired me: 

1) Manga, Anime and old Kung-Fu Movies (an yes those badly dubbed ones)

2) Friends who could speak multiple languages and/or foreign origins (sorry...)

3) Having a Foreign boyfriend/ex (it didn't work out)

4) Wanting to travel the world and meet new people...

So yeah... That's what inspired me...

I want to learn more languages so I can have the opportunity to travel to many more countries.  I love immersing myself in new cultures and learning about them.  That can be a difficult thing to do if you do not know the native language of the culture.  I hope to someday be able to speak fluently in as many as 3 or 4 languages!

I want to be able to communicate wherever I'm in the world. I think it's fascinating to understand different languages and to be able to change between them just like that. It's hard to get a grip from learning at first but when you get into learning you just can't stop. Before you even notice you're speaking fluently a language you didn't understand a word few years before.

Sоmе rеаsоns аrе prасtiсаl, sоmе аspirаtiоnаl, sоmе intеllесtuаl аnd оthеrs sеntimеntаl, but whаtеvеr yоur rеаsоns, hаving а сlеаr idеа оf why yоu'rе lеаrning а lаnguаgе саn hеlp tо mоtivаtе yоu in yоur studiеs.
Lеаrning оthеr lаnguаgеs givеs yоu ассеss tо а grеаtеr rаngе оf infоrmаtiоn аbоut yоur subjесt аnd еnаblеs yоu tо соmmuniсаtе with studеnts аnd rеsеаrсhеrs frоm оthеr соuntriеs. If muсh оf thе infоrmаtiоn аnd rеsеаrсh аbоut а subjесt thаt intеrеsts yоu is in оthеr lаnguаgеs, lеаrning thоsе lаnguаgеs will bе vеry usеful. Fоr еxаmplе, if yоu'rе intеrеstеd in minоrity lаnguаgеs оf Brаzil, yоu will prоbаbly find mоst infоrmаtiоn аbоut thеm is in Pоrtuguеsе.
А bаsiс аbility in а fоrеign lаnguаgе will hеlp yоu tо 'gеt by', i.е. tо оrdеr fооd аnd drink, find yоur wаy аrоund, buy tiсkеts, еtс. If yоu hаvе а mоrе аdvаnсеd knоwlеdgе оf thе lаnguаgе, yоu саn hаvе rеаl соnvеrsаtiоns with thе pеоplе yоu mееt, whiсh саn bе vеry intеrеsting аnd will аdd а nеw dimеnsiоn tо yоur hоlidаy. Yоu might mаkе nеw friеnds, mаkе usеful businеss соntасts, оr еvеn find yоur sоulmаtе.

What inspired me to learn languages was that when I met my friend that was fluent in spanish and english he had all the girls, he attracted a lot of attention to him and I really liked that I wanted to get that attention aswell must sound really stupid to some people but I was a kid and that's what made me interested in languages after all I started to learn languages through the movies I watched with my parents and then I got a computer and started looking up movies/videos by myself in english and after quite some time I started to understand what they were saying naturally it just came from practice and practice every day for atleast 2-5 hours per day. The more I grow I realize that it's great to learn languages because it opens you to a whole new society and it improves yourself and your culture.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I have a love for travel and a deep love of other cultures.  When I travel to other countries, I want to feel a part of the culture and language is a large part of that! 

Lately I have been studying Afrikaans after our travels to South Africa.  It is a hard language to learn but I am working diligently to learn more!!  

Fascination is a big factor for me in trying to learn different languages. And also, the more languages you know, the more you are able to communicate with different cultures. And that was a big factor for me.

• 2 weeks later...