Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

Great thread.  A few favorites come to mind ...

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."—Benjamin Franklin

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."—Hunter S. Thompson

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" — Robert Heinlein

"Love bears it out even to the edge of doom."—William Shakespeare

"The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money."—Thomas Jefferson

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."—Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."—Winston Churchill

"Never take counsel of your fears."—Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."—William Shakespeare

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."

Love this quote. I can definitely relate it to events in my own life.

Yes, that's a great one.  Thank you so much for sharing.  It's quite powerful.  It brought to my mind a quote from Nelson Mandela:

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

“They had nothing in common but the English language.”

― E.M. Forster, Howards End

Hehe, I guess it applies to this forum, in a way. But really, I think this quote shows how language is essential in relationships (maybe even in love). Right?  :ninja:

"There is nothing to fear, but fear itself". Eleanor Roosevelt

"Don't be afraid of failure, because your failure is what you are going to turn into your success".

"We got the tail wagging the dog, instead of the dog wagging its tail".

"Raise the cards one higher".

"Forgiveness removes you from being the victum".

"Power and Strength are from within".

that's a call thread, Marcel! I really like those two quotes that you posted:

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

I would like to add some of my favourites too:

Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a chance of being a prophet.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.

I am damn agreed with you man, this is not just thread but its a source to learn some more...

I guess threre is nothing about being favourite and all, some of them I generally use is as follows

After all is said and done, more is said than done

"The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do" (this one I used day before yesterday in my class)

"A real friend is someone who walks in when the rest of the world walks"

out

"Education is the best provision for the journey to old age" (well this is my favorite, if you ask me seriously)

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work"

And lots more which can be recalled upon the situation.

Admin i love you quotes especially  the one about friendship thank you for sharing it. My favourite quotes are by Napoleon Hill

" Whatever the mind can conceive and believe the mind can achieve"

"The only limitation that you have are the ones that you place on yourself or let others place upon you."

" You do not need to work really hard to become rich  all you need is one great  idea."

"The first Key to success is to have a definiteness of Purpose."

Guest chives152

Here is three of my favorite ones.

Our best thoughts come from others.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No, there's nothing half so sweet in life as love's young dream.

-Thomas Moore

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

-Buddha

Admin i love you quotes especially  the one about friendship thank you for sharing it. My favourite quotes are by Napoleon Hill

" Whatever the mind can conceive and believe the mind can achieve"

"The only limitation that you have are the ones that you place on yourself or let others place upon you."

" You do not need to work really hard to become rich  all you need is one great  idea."

"The first Key to success is to have a definiteness of Purpose."

Thanks!  Those are some very inspiring quotes!  Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

The works of Napoleon Hill have been life changing for many people I know.  I've benefited from his work as well.  Here are a couple of my favorites from him:

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."

"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

My favorite English quote is a line from the popular book series "A song of ice and fire" by George R. R. Martin. It belongs to the  character Tyrion Lannister who is a dwarf, which makes it even more powerful: "Never forget who you are, the world will not, wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you".

I would just like to share one quote which is very important to me. It is by the most famous of all English wordsmiths, William Shakespeare, and comes from his final play, The Tempest. Prospero, during one of his final monologues, says 'We are such stuff as dreams are made on.' I think this is a wonderful quote to live life by, and should inspire anyone to learn English to be able to read Shakespeare in the original.

One I really like comes from the song 'Nature Boy' and is heavily featured in the film Moulin Rouge!

The greatest thing you'll ever learn

is just to love and be loved in return.

Another one I like, from the film Magnolia is this one:

And the book says, we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.

I would like to share some of my favourite English quotes with you here. Mostly inspirational quotes…it’s incredible how much motivation a quote can give you…don’t you think so? Just a few words…but sometimes really powerful! I am not going to mention the author of the specific quotes…there is no special reason for that. Feel free to post your favorite quotes AND the author if you feel like :=)

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”

“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

“I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking”

“It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life,it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power!”

“What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.”

„Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.“

“Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done”

“You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.”

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”

I am looking forward to see YOUR favorite quotations! Happy Posting  :o

Well I have to say, as entertaining as these quotes are; as an Englishmen, I have never heard of these. It may have been to offer where the quotes came from :-)

When I read the title of this thread I thought we would be seeing the likes of 'An Englishman's home is his castle' .. Maybe it was just me :-)

Another one I like, from the film Magnolia is this one:

I read a very interesting account that the film Magnolia is one gigantic analogue to Exodus 8:2. The biblical tale is heavily references throughout, the most obvious case involving the frogs, and the less obvious littering of 8's and 2's. The theory that I read goes so far as to discredit the closing quote as nonsense meant to derail the viewers from the true meaning of the movie. His logic was quite sound in that regard; I'll see if I can find the whole review.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you. - Aldous Huxley

This is especially poignant at this time:

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

Well, that's the weirdest way of describing friendship I've ever hear, but it's totally true.

Mine are:

"What dosn't kill you, makes you stronger"

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power" Lao Tzu.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Benjamin Franklin

-------------------------

I don't know about this one. Remaining stupid doesn't require any effort at all, while leaving that ignorant state is very difficult. Humans are naturally ignorant, so I don't really agree with this one.

My favorite English quote is actually a bible quote. Philippians 1:3 "and I thank god for every time I remember you". I think that this is so unique. This is so inspirational for those who have loved ones who have passed, and just reminds us that even though they are not here the memories are forever. This is by far my favorite English quote.

Loving some of the quotes here!

My favourite is one that I always remember my English teacher in Year 11 showing us.

“If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.” -Doug Larson

I'm a big fan of little quotes that make your mind boggle around for a short while.