Linguaholic

Latin For Beginners

AureliaeLacrimae

• 4 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I remember taking a Latin course in high school and it was one of the hardest courses that I have ever taken, to this day.  That said, though, it was extremely valuable in learning the origin of the words that we use and it really helps if you are pursuing a law career, which is what our teacher always told us to ensure that we did not keep repeating that it was a dead language.  Be aware that it is difficult, but it is also highly rewarding.

• 2 months later...

I have had the desire to learn latin for a while now but never really devoted to it because I think it would be really time-consuming for me. When I'm learning something I go crazy obsessed for a couple of weeks and of course, its not going to make my resume more appealing or anything. On the other hand, this seems so easy to get started I might as  well give it a try, thanks.

I've only had a mild interest in Latin, but I remember my friend learning it years ago. And then rereading Harry Potter, and realizing that pretty much all of the spells and half the names are just straight up Latin, haha. Latin is the backbone of a lot of languages, and since I'm considering going into a medical field, I think I'll end up learning it.

Lаtin is аn аwеsоmе lаnguаgе, I'd rесоmmеnd giving it а try. Still, whеthеr it's wоrthwhilе dеpеnds а bit оn yоur gоаls fоr it.

Tо rеаd thе сlаssiсs: dеfinitеly lеаrn Lаtin, thе сlаssiсs аrе sо muсh bеttеr in thе оriginаl!

Tо rеаd Сhristiаn tеxts: mаybе lеаrn Lаtin, but Grееk оr Hеbrеw wоuld аlsо hеlp

Tо undеrstаnd lаnguаgеs bеttеr: Lаtin dеfinitеly gеts yоu а diffеrеnt аpprесiаtiоn оf lаnguаgеs, inсluding Еnglish vосаbulаry

Аs а stеpping-stоnе tо оthеr lаnguаgеs: Lаtin саn hеlp yоu thеrе, but it tаkеs tоо lоng tо lеаrn fоr just thаt. Dо а mоnth оr twо оf Еspеrаntо instеаd аnd yоu'll bе muсh bеttеr оff, bоth fоr vосаbulаry аnd grаmmаr.

• 1 month later...

I honestly think that learning Latin without using it is silly. I'd rather recommend learning dictons and phrases in Latin, that are still being used nowadays, but I would never recommend anyone to start learning about grammar and other stuff like that. Honestly, where would they use it?

• 2 months later...

I'm the kind of person that just wants to be forever learning. The one thing I really love about this life experience that we are living is that the learning never has to end. I've been studying languages one after the other for the past 10 years and as soon as I'm done with my current one, Afrikaans, I'm moving on to Latin. It was going to be French, but this forum changed my mind. 

Kids who are being taught Latin in the schools are really lucky. I wish we had some sort of program in our schools like that. It would have been really beneficial to people like us who love to learn new languages. Now I have a desire to learn Latin, but I know that it won't be as easy starting now as it would have been had I been taught the basics at school. 

I'm the kind of person that just wants to be forever learning. The one thing I really love about this life experience that we are living is that the learning never has to end. I've been studying languages one after the other for the past 10 years and as soon as I'm done with my current one, Afrikaans, I'm moving on to Latin. It was going to be French, but this forum changed my mind. 

What exactly is the learning curve for Latin? Is it something like Spanish that can be learned very easily or does it require a very strict program to follow and learn. Could I learn it on my own or would I be better off taking a class? 

People might be surprised to know that there are two kinds of Latin pronunciation:, The Ecclesiastical Latin and the Classical Latin. The Ecclesiastical Latin is the one used by the Vatican while the Classical Latin is the way scholars assume Latin was pronounced by the Romans. While many schools and universities have stopped requiring the study of Latin in their curriculum, it remains to be the most alive 'dead' language in the planet. Learning Latin will give you an advantage if you want to go into the legal profession. It is also still widely used in the sciences, biology, taxonomy, and medicine. I once had a book project that required me to put together Latin grammar and conversational Latin in one ebook. I enjoyed learning the language and I was surprised at the wealth of resources that I found on the internet about Latin. A dead language, indeed!

• 1 month later...

I've always wished that we had Latin in our school. I am definitely going to be a regular part of the Latin Section here. Of all the languages that I could learn, I think Latin would be the most fun and exciting. 

Wow, Latin seems like a pretty cool language. I heard that most languages get some of their words from Latin, so that should make it interesting. I think Latin might be one of the new languages that I learn. I am also thinking about learning German, Mandarin Chinese, or maybe even French. Whichever one I decide to learn, I know that this site will help.

Since Latin is not spoken anymore what do you think are the benefits of learning the language?  I've heard that a foundation in Latin helps to learn other Romance Languages?  What do you think?  I was also told that it can help with the English section of many standardized tests such as the SATs.

Does anyone know the other benefits of learning this language? 

On 9/11/2016 at 7:23 PM, KimmyMarkks said:

Since Latin is not spoken anymore what do you think are the benefits of learning the language?  I've heard that a foundation in Latin helps to learn other Romance Languages?  What do you think?

It absolutely does. I haven't been actively trying to learn languages that derive straight from Latin (Spanish, Italian, French at least), but I understand a lot of words just because I have some vocabulary in Latin. I've been interested in learning Latin since I was like 13, but it wasn't taught at my school (when we really got to choose languages at upper secondary school), so I've tried a bit on my own, but I don't have much of a grasp on the grammar. Maybe I should start again with this forum helping me :lol:

Fоr а rеаl bеginnеr, I rесоmmеnd 4 bооks thаt аrе nоt Rоmаn, but аrе еxсеllеnt, rеаdаblе, & fun trаnslаtiоns.
1)Winniе Illе Pu
2)Dоmus аnguli Puеnsis 
3)Fеrdinаndus Tаurus 
4)аliсiа in Tеrrа Mirаbili

"аliсiа" is thе mоst соmplеx. аll аrе trаnslаtiоns by еxсеllеnt, knоwlеdgаblе sсhоlаrs, vеry gооd Lаtin.