Linguaholic

Help me to translate this in German.

For this Friday(29.11.2014) I have to write an essay in German about my town. This is the version in English:

I live Dupnitsa. It is a small and beautiful town in west part of Bulgaria. We have a paternal house there. I live in it with my parents and my sister. I was born in Dupnitsa. I have never had occasion to go out of our town. My school, my friends are all here.

There is a market, a theatre, a large playground and a railway station.

There are buses, auto-rickshaws, taxis, etc. for transport. There are also three hospitals. The road condition and sanitary system are quite bad.

In the market, one can get all sorts of consumer goods including clothes, shoes, stationery goods. The theatre shows pretty good plays. In the playground, football and matches are frequently held between the local teams. We live happily in our native place which is our universe.

And my version in German.

Ich lebe Dupnitsa. Es ist eine kleine und schöne Stadt in Westteil Bulgariens. Wir haben ein väterliches Haus dort. Ich lebe darin mit meinen Eltern und meiner Schwester. Ich war in Dupnitsa geboren. Ich habe Gelegenheit nie gehabt, um aus unserer Stadt zu gehen. Meine Schule, meine Freunde sind alle hier.

Es gibt einen Markt, ein Theater, einen großen Spielplatz und eine Eisenbahnstation.

Es gibt Busse, auto-rickshaws, Taxis etc. für Transport. Es gibt auch drei Krankenhäuser. Die Straßenbedingung(Straßenzustand) und hygienisches System sind ziemlich schlecht(schlimm).

Auf dem Markt kann man alle Sorten von Konsumgütern bekommen, die Kleider, Schuhe, Büromaterial-Waren einschließen. Das Theater zeigt recht gute Spiele. Im Spielplatz werden Fußball und Matchs(Streichhölzer) häufig zwischen den lokalen Mannschaften gehalten. Wir leben glücklich in unserem heimischen Platz, der unser Universum ist.

Please, help me and correct my mistakes, because I'm pretty sure I have mistakes. I will be so thankful to all of you :)

And my version in German.

Ich lebe Dupnitsa. Es ist eine kleine und schöne Stadt in Westteil Bulgariens. Wir haben ein väterliches Haus dort. Ich lebe darin mit meinen Eltern und meiner Schwester. Ich war in Dupnitsa geboren. Ich habe Gelegenheit nie gehabt, um aus unserer Stadt zu gehen. Meine Schule, meine Freunde sind alle hier.

Es gibt einen Markt, ein Theater, einen großen Spielplatz und eine Eisenbahnstation.

Es gibt Busse, auto-rickshaws, Taxis etc. für Transport. Es gibt auch drei Krankenhäuser. Die Straßenbedingung(Straßenzustand) und hygienisches System sind ziemlich schlecht(schlimm).

Auf dem Markt kann man alle Sorten von Konsumgütern bekommen, die Kleider, Schuhe, Büromaterial-Waren einschließen. Das Theater zeigt recht gute Spiele. Im Spielplatz werden Fußball und Matchs(Streichhölzer) häufig zwischen den lokalen Mannschaften gehalten. Wir leben glücklich in unserem heimischen Platz, der unser Universum ist.

Here you go:

Ich lebe in Dupnitsa. Es ist eine kleine und schöne Stadt im Westen von Bulgarien. Unser Elternhaus ist dort. Ich lebe in diesem Haus mit meinen Eltern und meiner Schwester. Ich wurde in Dupnitsa geboren. Ich hatte nie eine Gelegenheit dazu, um aus der Stadt herauszukommen. Meine Schule und meine Freunde sind alle hier.

Es gibt Busse, auto-rickshaws, Taxis etc. für den Transport. Es gibt ausserdem drei Krankenhäuser. Die Straßenbedingungen und das Sanitärsystem sind ziemlich schlecht.  (or you could say / lassen zu Wünschen übrig)

Auf dem Markt kann man alle Sorten von Konsumgütern bekommen, inklusive Kleider, Schuhe und Büromaterial. Das Theater bietet ziemlich interessante Aufführungen. Auf dem Spielplatz wird oft Fussball gespielt und lokale Mannschaften treten gegeneinander an. Wir leben glücklich in unserer Heimat – unserem (kleinen) Universum.

And of course you can't say auto-rickshaws. You could probably just go for Rikscha (This is the official German word for Riksha).

So many mistakes.. I don't know what to say so I can describe how thankful am I to you :) :) :) :shy:

If you ask me, the translation is pretty good! Some parts of your translation just did not sound very german, so I decided to 'tune' them a little bit. But don't worry, your German is pretty good already!

If you have any questions about my corrections, please let me know.

regards, lingua

Well... my teacher told me that it's grammatical right, but she didn't like it. So for the next Monday(01.12.2014) I have to make another text, so now I'm going to ask you again for you help with the translation:  :shy:

I live in Dupnitsa, which is small and a very beautiful town, situated in west Bulgaria. It is at the foot of the highest mountain in the Balkan Peninsula – the Rila Mountain, and about 65 km south of the capital Sofia.

The town has existed since Antiquity.

The German traveler and knight, Arnold von Harff, visited Dupnitsa in 1499 and described it as a "beautiful town". The names Tobinitsa, Doupla and Dubnitsa are mentioned throughout history, the last one used until the Liberation of Bulgaria, when the official name was changed to Dupnitsa. In 1948 the town was renamed Stanke Dimitrov; for a short period in 1949 it was called Marek; the name was changed to Stanke Dimitrov in 1950. After the democratic changes, the old name Dupnitsa was restored.

My family has a house in town. I live there with my parents and my sister. I had no opportunity to move to another city.

On a hill overlooking the town there is a giant cross, commemorating the Bulgarians who perished in the Balkan wars and World War I. On the same hill there lay the ruins of a medieval fortress.

During the World War II, even though there was no deportation of Bulgarian Jews of the former Bulgarian territories, over 4,000 Jews from parts of Greece and Yugoslavia annexed by Bulgaria were arrested on 4 March 1943 and deported to an internment camp in Dupnitsa. After ten days in the Dupnitza camp, on 18–19 March they were transferred by train to Lom on the Danube.

Nowadays Dupnitsa is fast-developing town.

There is a market, where everyone can find everything. There's also a theater, stadium, mosque, town garden and park. The theater shows a pretty good plays. On the stadium local teams play usually matches between each other. The mosque is actually a gallery. Frequently there are shown beatiful exhibitions. In the town garden and in the park there are many kids playing around.

Die Straßenbedingungen und das Sanitärsystem sind ziemlich schlecht.- will stay the same

Despite this our town is a small and very beautiful universe.

Thank you in advance. :) I know it's already too insolently, but.. I'm going to be so greatful if you help me again. :)

Actually she doesn't like me much, that's why. She said that the text was grammatically right 100%, but she didn't like the text, my text, that, which I wrote about my town and after that you translated. She said that if it was about the grammar I would have excellent, but it was an essay and it should be much longer.

Oh, yes.. and she told me that it sounds better "ich wohne" than "ich lebe", but I don't think so.

Well 'Ich wohne' and 'Ich lebe' are not exactly the same things, but of course, usually, if you live somewhere, you also 'wohnen' there :=)

Both of them are completely fine to me in most cases.

Yes, of course. I need it for Monday morning. I live in Dupnitsa, as you already know, our time zone is UTC +2h. Sundays I stay in front of my computer until 00 o'clock, so I think Sunday evening is totally fine.

Thank you, Lingua!

[ORIGINAL TEXT]

[I live in Dupnitsa, which is small and a very beautiful town, situated in west Bulgaria. It is at the foot of the highest mountain in the Balkan Peninsula – the Rila Mountain, and about 65 km south of the capital Sofia.

The town has existed since Antiquity.

The German traveler and knight, Arnold von Harff, visited Dupnitsa in 1499 and described it as a "beautiful town". The names Tobinitsa, Doupla and Dubnitsa are mentioned throughout history, the last one used until the Liberation of Bulgaria, when the official name was changed to Dupnitsa. In 1948 the town was renamed Stanke Dimitrov; for a short period in 1949 it was called Marek; the name was changed to Stanke Dimitrov in 1950. After the democratic changes, the old name Dupnitsa was restored.

My family has a house in town. I live there with my parents and my sister. I had no opportunity to move to another city.

On a hill overlooking the town there is a giant cross, commemorating the Bulgarians who perished in the Balkan wars and World War I. On the same hill there lay the ruins of a medieval fortress.

During the World War II, even though there was no deportation of Bulgarian Jews of the former Bulgarian territories, over 4,000 Jews from parts of Greece and Yugoslavia annexed by Bulgaria were arrested on 4 March 1943 and deported to an internment camp in Dupnitsa. After ten days in the Dupnitza camp, on 18–19 March they were transferred by train to Lom on the Danube.

Nowadays Dupnitsa is fast-developing town.

There is a market, where everyone can find everything. There's also a theater, stadium, mosque, town garden and park. The theater shows a pretty good plays. On the stadium local teams play usually matches between each other. The mosque is actually a gallery. Frequently there are shown beatiful exhibitions. In the town garden and in the park there are many kids playing around.

Die Straßenbedingungen und das Sanitärsystem sind ziemlich schlecht.- will stay the same

Despite this our town is a small and very beautiful universe.]

[MY TRANSLATION]

[Ich lebe/wohne in Dupnitsa, einer kleinen und wunderschönen Stadt im Westen von Bulgarien. Es liegt am Fusse des höchsten Berges/Gebirges der Balkanhalbinsel : das Rila-Gebirge. Dupnitsa befindet sich 65 km südwärts der Hauptstadt Sofia. Die Geschichte der Stadt reicht bis in die Antike (bis ins Altertum) zurück. Der deutsche Ritter und Wanderer, Arnold von Hoff, besuchte schon im Jahre 1499 Dupnitsa und bewunderte seine Schönheit. Während seiner langen Geschichte trug die Stadt die Namen 'Tobinitsa', 'Doupla' und 'Dubnitsa'. Letztere Bezeichnung trug die Stadt bis zur Liberation Bulgariens. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt wurde die Stadt dann in Dupnitsa umbenannt. Im Jahre 1948 trug die Stadt für kurze Zeit den Namen 'Stanke Dimitrov'. Im Jahre 1949 zierte der Namen 'Marek' die Stadt. 1950 hiess die Stadt dann wieder Stanke Dimitrov. Nach den demokratischen Anpassungen, die danach stattfanden, wurde wieder der alte Name 'Dupnitsa' verwendet. Meine Familie besitzt ein Haus direkt in der Stadt. Ich lebe dort mit meinen Eltern und mit meiner Schwester. Die Möglichkeit in eine andere Stadt zu ziehen, besass ich nie. Wenn man von einem bestimmten Hügel aus über die Stadt hinweg blickt, dann sieht man ein riesiges Kreuz, welches zum Gedenken der Opfer Bulgariens im Balkankrieg und im ersten Weltkrieg aufgestellt wurde. Auf diesem selben Hügel findet man auch die Ruinen einer mittelalterlichen Festung.

Während des zweiten Weltkrieges wurden am 4. März 1943 4000 Juden, welche aus Teilen Griechenlands und des ehemaligen Jugoslawiens stammten, jedoch durch Bulgarien annektiert wurden, verhaftet und nach Dupnitsa in Konzentrationslager verschleppt.  Nach etwas mehr als 10 Tagen im Konzentrationslager in Dupnitsa, wurden die Opfer am 18. und 19. März mit dem Zug nach Lom an der Donau gebracht.

Das jetzige Dupnitsa entwickelt sich mit rasanter Geschwindigkeit. Es gibt einen Markt, wo jeder alles finden kann, was er für den Alltag so braucht. Weiterhin gibt in der Stadt auch ein Theater, ein Stadion, eine Moschee, ein Stadtgarten und ein Stadtpark. Das Theater bietet interessante Aufführungen an. Im Stadion stehen sich oft lokale Mannschaften gegenüber. Die Moschee ist eigentlich eine Art Gallerie. Oft gibt es dort spannende Ausstellungen. Im Stadtgarten findet man jede Menge spielender Kinder vor. Leider lassen die Strassenbedingungen und das Sanitärsystem noch zu Wünschen übrig. Nichtsdestotrotz ist Dupnitsa unser kleines aber feines Universum.]

• 4 years later...