Linguaholic

The more we read and write...

Chris4Davi

It's almost like, "use or lose it". My brothers, sister, and I grew up speaking Turkish, however we only spoke it to our mother. Our mother was a single parent, for most of our lives. We didn't have one other family member, in the U.S. who spoke Turkish. As we got older and became adults, thus beginning our own lives, we didn't have that daily verbal interaction with our mother, as we did when we were children. It became very apparent, who spoke the least to our mother. Actually, my younger brother never spoke Turkish very well, so when he was a teenager, he often spoke English to her.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Reading is the best way to learn a language. Remember learning a language is a time taking task. You cannot learn a language as quick as you can learn a theory in physics or history of an ancient city. You have to invest time and read a lot to learn a language.  

The more you read and write the more you start feeling natural while using a particular language. So practicing reading and writing is the best way to learn a language. You know that you have learnt a language when you start feeling natural reading or writing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you got that absolutely correct.  Reading and writing does make you better; that is true with any kind of studying.  Also, conversing with someone who knows your native and target languages helps greatly.  I learned a great deal of Spanish from a friend I used to have.  I'm not fluent, but I can catch words here and there in conversation (which I think is pretty great considering the rapid-fire delivery and the merging of some words into others).

I prefer to keep things as natural and loose as at all possible. I think it is better not too think too much about the process, but to make sure we focus on enjoying it genuinely. It should become part of our lives. I find when I enjoy something I am doing in my second language I improve and remember things quickly and well and the whole process is sustainable. Simple as that. 

I am anti-study and pro pushing myself hard with things that can be tough at first like debating, talking in big noisy groups, watching movies or listening to music.

I think the most important skill is definitely listening because once you can understand native speakers easily in any situation everything else gets a lot easier. And until you can it is always a struggle.

Jump straight in the deep end! It can only get easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely agree. As the saying goes - practice makes perfect. And even though the language you speak or read might not be perfect, I think that's the real charm of language - that it isn't meant to be perfect. Drawing words in from sources like books, and being able to use them in conversation really does help though in being able to absorb and interact with the language - moreso than if you didn't practice them at all.

• 9 months later...

Of course, I must agree with the statement. I have tried that on myself and everything I have achieved so far has been completed through permanent and persistent practice. Reading was my first and most important discipline with which I have learned to write and speak. However, these days I write much more than I read, because I am pretty good at that now. And I would always recommend to anyone who want to learn a foreign language that reading may be the most important part of the learning process. If you have some basic understanding, choose favorite books and start. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, reading and writing in a language can be huge for improving your skill with that language. When I learn a new language I like to read as many things as I can that are in that language. Even if I don't know some of the words that I am reading I can kind of start to learn what they are by using the words that are around them, and eventually you will get better.

I've heard it said that if you want to remember something you have to write it down. That means that if you regularly do some writing in the language you are learning, you'll remember the words better than someone who doesn't. The more you do it, the better you'll get to be. As for reading, well . . . it's one way to see how those who know the language better use it and you unconsciously soak it up too.

You can learn a language just by listening. I learned Hindi language by watching Bollywood movies. Many people from my home country Nepal go to Middle east as migrant worker, during their stay  they learn the language of their host country. They cannot read, they cannot write, but they can speak. Thus most important thing in learning language is listening. After you listen, you must speak it.Speaking will improve your skills.

However,. to polish your language you will have to read and write

Reading and writing is the best way to learn a new language not only it gives you vocabulary and structures but you can learn about life. It will make you more knowledgeable, you can learn about anything that you're interested in, many people learn only by reading and writing and it can be tough sometimes but it's definitely possible to do it that way.