Linguaholic

Norwegian, one of the languages of the Northern part of Europe. Welcome!

Kaffi

Welcome to the Norwegian forum!

Here it is all about Norwegian, the language, the dialects. the 2 official forms of writing , lyrics, poems and anything else associated with the Norwegian language.

Let us all start discussing and learning and teaching together.

Velkommen til forumet for norsk!

Her skal vi lære og utforske det norske språket, både bokmål og nynorsk , og dialekter også der det passer inn.

Maybe you could try writing the translation of the surface structure when you write in Norwegian. I did it with Latin sentences - I write the exact order of words in English, so for example:

puella pulchra est

the girl - beautiful - is

This may enable people to try and work things out on their own and see the structure of Norwegian as a language -which words go where, which phrases occur together and such. I believe it could be very useful.

Also, which type of pattern does it follow? Subject - Verb - Object or a different one? This can help a lot.

Maybe you could try writing the translation of the surface structure when you write in Norwegian. I did it with Latin sentences - I write the exact order of words in English, so for example:

puella pulchra est

the girl - beautiful - is

This may enable people to try and work things out on their own and see the structure of Norwegian as a language -which words go where, which phrases occur together and such. I believe it could be very useful.

Also, which type of pattern does it follow? Subject - Verb - Object or a different one? This can help a lot.

Norwegian follow mostly the rest of the European languages in structure, very similar to English, with a few exceptions where it has contained some of the Old Norse structure, but that's a very few exceptions.

That is very good, it certainly makes the things easier. Sometimes it's difficult to adapt to the new language structure. One more question:

Is Norwegian a language which has strict word order or loose? Did it keep the cases from Old Norse or are they gone like in English?

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but you will see that my interest is mostly in learning about the language rather than the language itself - I like knowing how it functions, what rules does the grammar follow et cetera; which is not necessarily a bad thing.