Linguaholic

Why German?

tulosai

Of all the languages out there to study, what pulled you to German? I took it up as a college requirement and then studied abroad there for a semester.  Unfortunately, I haven't kept very current on my German but would like to start studying it again :)

I studied German in college.  While I never became fluent in the language I was able to read and comprehend fairly well.

I developed an interest in German mainly because of my interest in German opera.  Both my parents were opera buffs and so I grew up listening and appreciating German opera as well as Italian and French opera.  I was fascinated at an early age by the sound of all of these language.

I studied Spanish in high school, with the intention of taking German and French later on in college.  I did not get around to French in college, but yes, I did study German just as I had planned.

I like traveling to germany. I enjoy the place, food and the people. I met new friends there. That's the reason why I decided to study the language. I'm not really looking to be fluent, but at least I can communicate while I'm there.

I would love to learn German next because it provides extra benefits just like Spanish. Germany is leading right now within the European Union, and getting involved with German businesses and jobs would be a huge plus. I actually hope to travel to Germany someday (I was supposed to last Halloween but I completely forgot about the whole thing..) and possibly even work there. As well as this, I do find the language itself very fascinating. It might not be like a romantic language or anything but it does appeal to me very much, and so does Swedish..

I would love to learn German next because it provides extra benefits just like Spanish. Germany is leading right now within the European Union, and getting involved with German businesses and jobs would be a huge plus. I actually hope to travel to Germany someday (I was supposed to last Halloween but I completely forgot about the whole thing..) and possibly even work there. As well as this, I do find the language itself very fascinating. It might not be like a romantic language or anything but it does appeal to me very much, and so does Swedish..

I like that opinion and I guess that German could be really that language that's the most useful for you to learn. Though I ask myself who someone can forget to travel into a country.

I like that opinion and I guess that German could be really that language that's the most useful for you to learn. Though I ask myself who someone can forget to travel into a country.

Haha, apparently one of my classmates invited me to come with her and visit a friend in Germany who was an exchange student in our school. However I don't recall ever hearing it from her so either I forgot about the whole thing or it didn't register because I was probably busy with something when she told me. I only realised the missed opportunity when I saw the photos and was wondering why I wasn't invited...  :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:

German was a mandatory subject for me in elementary and middle school. It's not uncommon in Polish schools; in pretty much every one of them either English or German is the first foreign language taught - in Polish schools there's one foreign language taught from the very beginning and another one is added in middle school.

I live in Western Poland, quite close to German border, so it's natural that we're taught German. I've been to Germany many times, for shorter and longer trips. That being said, I remember very little German now... I need to get back to it.

There actually was several reasons why I studied German.  Part of it was to get a better grasp of the language and culture behind some of the great literature of that part of the world.  Also, my spouse is also ethnically German and both her and her parents speak the language.  Finally, I have found knowing a bit of it helpful in the business world.  I've had to interface with people from Austria and the knowledge helped with the interaction. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a kid, after I finished my english lessons, my parents gave me an option: I could either study French, or German. I don't know why I chose German, probably because I thought back then that French sounds "funny". I'm not fluent in German, mainly because I get almost zero opportunities to practise, but I hope this will change soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is the very accent of the language which attracts me.

Also, in some months, I might be travelling to Germany, so this is the reason why I would like to learn this language.

One of my brothers is fluent in this language, so I have somebody with whom I can communicate, that is why I chose this language.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it presents me with a great advantage on the job market. Most people only know two languages, English and their native one. People who know more than one foreign language are always preferred by employers and I guess that's the main reason I've ever signed up for it.

I chose German as my next learning language, because I've always thought it was a beautiful language. The words sound very beautiful. I think the country is beautiful as well.  I also decided to learn it because, in high school, my drama teacher was an ex-German teacher at another school, she used to talk to us in German (which none of us really understood lol), so it made me want to learn the language.

I started learning German really because it was the only subject I was allowed to choose in my school and my "degree" so I decided to go with it, and I actually liked it. It seems like a complex language but it is not as hard as one would think. German is actually leading right now among all other countries in Europe and is one important world potency so I think it is always a plus.

• 3 weeks later...

It was available to me as a high school freshman, and as I lived in and went to school in a tiny German Catholic town with a convent of nuns nearby, and my entire family lineage on my father's side is German in origin, I decided that would be the best option. :) Most of my friends ended up taking German too so that helped. I actually stopped taking German classes for a little bit in college; I tested into a 300 level class, passed it, and then was convinced to take the next level up, somehow a 468. It was torture and way beyond my abilities so I didn't take another german class until last year, starting back at the 203 level. I'm glad, though. I've always made the best friends from my foreign language classes.

• 1 month later...

Always had a large interest in German history- it is vibrant and exciting. The language also does just sound downright cool to me. I like the guttural, throaty while speaking it. It is a language of culture.

I am currently learning German because I think it's one of the best languages to learn. Germany is a great country with one of the best economies in the world and if you're involved in business like I am there's even more reason to learn it! Germany isn't just a language spoke in Germany though, it's also spoke in other countries like Switzerland and Austria so it's very useful!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I personally just thought wouldn't it be so cool If I studied abroad in a country that I don't know their language! So I picked Germany to be that country and I've been learning the language so I am able to study here and live too :)

I enjoy Mathematics. German is very mathematical and rigid. It is complicated, challenging, yet very logical and fun. The first time I have ever heard a fluent German speaker, I really wanted to learn this language.

I have just always just liked the language and I think I have german ancestry, I have also met a few german people here in South-Africa and one of my friends can speak german but does not have the time to teach me.

• 2 weeks later...

My family is German; I am extremely close to my Oma and Opa. I have been exposed to the German language my whole life, but I have just recently taken an interest in it. I took basic German in University; which I did well in. Just like when you're learning any other language, you need to be patient. German is a complex language, stay focused and you will be speaking German in no time.

• 2 months later...

Really powerful language, that's why. I'm not quite sure if I have the determination to learn it, but I'll try my best, though!