Linguaholic

How I study Spanish for maximum learning capability ^.^

Nathan Heightz

Hello! I've been studying spanish for 6 months and have reached a basic fluency in speaking, but can understand almost anything I read! In this video I explain what i do/have done! feel free to watch, leave tips! and let me know if this helped you! ^.^

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hey Nathan and all.

Good method you've got there. Watching your other videos (5 months and 6 months progress), I'd comment that your pronunciation is pretty good, fluid and very understandable. The more you speak like that, the more you'll understand what others are saying to you.

I'd highlight something I noticed-- Nathan not only looked at the words in the vocab book, he painted them. When I was studying Spanish on my own, before moving to Spain, I'd read (actually reread) books I'd already read in English (mostly Steven King novels, addict I). When I had to look up a word I didn't know, I'd highlight it in my dictionary. If I looked it up again, I'd find it quicker and I'd put a red dot next to that same word. If I still had to look it up again, a third time, I'd stop, put down the book I was reading, and copy that word and its translation five or ten times into my vocabulary notebook.

Another thing Nathan comments is that he nearly always reads aloud. Since Spanish is represented phonetically (that is, each letter has one sound, some.... only a few .... with two sounds), reading aloud is an excellent way to get your mouth moving around complete sentences. That's the best way towards listening comprehension. Once you're able to pronounce full sentences with ease, you'll find yourself understanding when others blurt out those same full sentences.

Enhorabuena, your personal method seems to have "worked" for you and, you're right, it could be of use to others with the same level of motivation (wanting to learn your family's native tongue, wanting to be able to communicate with loved ones, etc). You're on the tack when you say that, once living in a Spanish-speaking country you'll be fluent in just a few months. Doing more or less what you described, before moving to Spain, meant that within a few weeks I was communicating and within a few months I was feeling pretty comfortable speaking and making new friends in the language.

Paz, amigo.

revel.

Thank you for the response and checking out my other videos. that means a lot! I am actually learning German too now but I want to wait a few months until I can actually make a video! LOL Hope others find It useful/motivational. I still have a long way to go! I am aware but at the same time I know "fluency" is a goal you must constantly strive for and one can easily chase this goal the rest of their life (Chasing the dragon). Anyways! I will continue to post updates on my progress and anything else I find helpful!

Salud!

As I already wrote you on another post, I hope that you will upload your journey to learning the German language.  It's very motivating to watch a person really get serious and actually learn a language, especially for someone like me who has been taking language courses in school for many years (but not now currently), and still am not fluent in anything!  You're showing that it can be done.

That's a nice method!  I'm right now using a method that I believe will work for me, first I'm reviewing a whole course, lesson by lesson.  After that I'll just make mind maps of each lesson.  What I basically do tho, when

I'm ''reviewing'' the course is to write a short summary of each lesson, including vocab and the main text.  Then I try to pronounce the whole thing! Do the workbook exercises and jump into the next lesson.

I must say I've learnt quite a bit this way, but I still need to do the mind mapping thing, then I'll be done :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw the video posted online. He mentioned that one of the tools he used in learning Spanish was the Pimsleur method. I must say that I too can recommend Pimsleur method. Unfortunately, I only got 4 CDs of the Pimsleur Method in Spanish. But I've to say, that it can really help you gain fluency. Repetition and saying things out loud are very fundamental in Pimsleur.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Pimsleur method, it's actually great if you have the spare time to use that course (along with the other materials or courses you might already be trying).  I honestly think this method is great is you are starting to get familiarized with the language, I have the dutch one and I must say I sometimes look back and check the notes and transcriptions i wrote while trying out that course... they're serving as a great reference spot!!!

• 1 month later...

That's a great video, thanks for sharing that!

In my opinion: by far the fastest way to learn any language is through immersion.

You can either do this by going to a Spanish speaking country and making mistakes over and over again by putting yourself out there. By physically immersing yourself in the culture, people, signs, and of course the everyday conversation, you're forced to pick up the language very quickly.

Now, most of us do not have the luxury of picking up our bags and going to a new country to learn a language, due to jobs, lack of funding, the list goes on.

Another alternative is to learn independently through apps, books, podcasts, but this is a very inefficient approach because it doesn't require you to actually speak. And we all know that the best way to learn is by doing.

As all of the top language learning experts recommend, the best and fastest way to learn how to speak a language is speaking with native speakers.

Because most of us don't have access to people around us who are native Spanish speakers, I use Rype. http://rypeapp.com/

Rype is a platform where you can connect with a native speaking tutor through video chat to practice and receive immediate feedback on your Spanish speaking skills.

If any of you would like to try it out, they are providing a free 30-minute lesson.

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts on our vision for the future of language learning, by emailing me at [email protected].

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is amazing. I'm taking Pimsleur's too but I'm still not taking it seriously. I will try again. Thank you for sharing your experience :>

• 3 months later...

Hola,

For me the best way to study Spanish is definitely to draw from a wide range of resources as often as possible. And for this to happen the key is that you have to genuinely want to do it. It can´t feel like studying as you will get too bored and lose interest.

Things I love are films, TV, music and radio, so those are my top resources. If you love reading, get hold of some Spanish books that really appeal to you. You have to try and make Spanish a true part of your everyday life and not look upon the process as "studying".

Here is an article about learning Spanish using music that expands on what I am saying. Hope you find it interesting: http://coursefinders.com/en/studentlibrary/1293/learning-spanish-using-music

Saludos,

Laura

I think your video is very inspiring. That is a lot of dedication and hardwork. Did you learn Spanish on your own or did you have to enroll in an online or offline language class? I need to be motivated and coming across your post and video is helpful. I do not know all these resources your mentioned the local bookstore that I had been to has a very limited list of books and most of them are very basic, I willl subscribe to your channel

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, linguaholic. I think Nick may be referring to the flashcards that Nathan showed at the start of the video. :)

You've inspired me to step up my game, Nick. I've signed up for Duolingo months ago, but I've only done it maybe once or twice. For some reason, I'm finding it really hard to focus on this project. But I'd really love to be as fluent in Spanish as you are. That was impressive. I'll give Pimsleur a try. I just signed up for the free lesson. I hope it's not too expensive. :) Thanks!