Linguaholic

Its and It's

OddVisions

I have finally figured it out! Now that I've figured it out, I'd like to share what is so important about "its" and "it's". For the longest time, I couldn't figure out if "It's" should also be used as a possessive word. For examle: Erica's hair/the book's pages. Thanks to studying for an upcoming test, I've finally figured out that "It's" is only used as a conjugation like "It is" and is not a possessive word. I wanted to share for those who might also be very confused about this since it's eluded me for so long.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

• 1 month later...

I've always seen ''Its'' as possessive and ''It's'' as It is, have no idea why people confuse both :o Anyways, thanks for taking the time to write this, I'm sure someone will find it really useful :)  After all it can be very easy to some to confuse both of those! Just like some confuse they're with their, hehehe! Yup, have met a lot native english speakers who do that or the classic: You're with your.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is very easy actually. When you think about the Simple Present Tense third person singular formula, which is IT IS, and you learned that the shorter version is It's, then you know that the apostrophe standing there is actually where it is as a replacement for the 'i' omitted letter.

On the other hand, ITS is just a possessive form for the third person singular, and you can't find any apostrophe there, because there is not a letter, which is omitted.

Mine, Yours, His, Hers, Its, Ours, Yours, Theirs. - called Possessive Pronouns, used to avoid repeating any information that is already known, or clear.

The example someone mentioned above is great, but here are some more:

1. It is (it's) nice to meet you.
  2. I need to help my school maintain its website.
  3. It is (it's) quite a nice garden you have there.
  4. The garden he has been working on is outstanding. Its flowers boom with colour.

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 5:03 PM, JasleenKaur said:
  • When the landlord asked about this month's rent check, Kim said, "It's on its way."

That reminds me, my rent's due soon.  I think it's at the end of the month. 

But as everyone is pointing out, It's is a contraction.  It's = It is.  When in doubt, think of it that way. 
For some odd reason, I can't think of any good examples for the possessive pronoun its. 

On 11/4/2015 at 1:48 PM, JasleenKaur said:
  • When the landlord asked about this month's rent check, Kim said, "It's on its way."

I am always confused with its and it's. Thanks for this great example. Here are some more examples

It's a nice day

Buffalo and its babies.

• 4 weeks later...

"It" is just a replacement for a noun and it can be swapped with any noun, that would make sense in the sentence. "Its" is a possessive pronoun that is used to emphasize whose property said noun is.

It's a nice car. / That Ferrari's a nice car.

The cat sleeps in its own room.