Linguaholic

Is "Foods" Acceptable?

g2narat

I see more and more people using the word foods. Even spell-check doesn't correct it. To me, it sounds wrong, like saying stuffs to mean having a lot of stuff. I'm pretty sure stuffs is wrong, and I used to think it was like that with foods too, but I've been seeing it more and more lately and I'm wondering if it's become an acceptable word.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it is acceptable because super foods, which I hear a lot, sounds correct. I'm guessing it is used when using interchangeably with the word ingredients, or other similar words. I agree that it never really sounded correct though. I always found it to be very awkward to use and to hear.

It depends on the context, but like the above commenter said, people do say "super foods" and it's fine. English is an ever evolving language, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It depends on the situation the word is being used in. For instance, look at the following sentence:

Carrots make good foods!

In the above sentence, since Carrots is a group, then the s at the end of food becomes unnecessary.

However, when speaking in plural or about two or more separate items, then the word foods is acceptable.

For example:

Tomatoes and carrots are good foods!

I totally agree with odd visions, it really depends on the context, but generally speaking foods is right most of the time.  If you use it wrongly in a sentence isn't going to be a big deal, it might only sound a bit odd, but most people won't even notice.  I think you have to go with your gut feeling most of the time, just use it when it feels right!