Linguaholic

What would these sentences be in German? The four cases

Is this correct?

Nominative

The man reads. Der Mann liest. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

The men read. Die Männer lesen. (Definite, plural, masculine)

A man reads. Ein Mann liest. (Indefinite, singular, masculine)

Men read. Die Männer lesen (Indefinite, plural, masculine). Should "die" be removed? And if one would say "people die", as a general remark, would that be "menschen sterben"?

Accusative

I read to the man. Ich für der Mann lesen. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

I read to the men. Ich für die Männer lesen. (Definite, plural, masculine)

I read to a man. Ich für einen Mann lesen. (Indefinite, singular, masculine)

I read to men. Ich für Männer lesen (indefinite, plural, masculine).

The last sentence could be a reply to the question "did you read to men, women or kids?".

Genitive

The man's favorite book was read. Des Mannes Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

The men's favorite book was read. Der Männer Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde. (Definite, plural, masculine)

A man's favorite book was read. Eines Mannes Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde. (Indefinite, singular, masculine)

Men's favorite book was read. Männer Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde, (Indefinite, plural, masculine)

Dative

I read the book to the man. Ich lese dem Mann das Buch vor. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

I read the book the the men. Ich lese den Männer das Buch vor. (Definite, plural, masculine)

I read the book to a man. Ich lese einem Mann das Buch vor .(Indefinite, singular, masculine)

I read the book to men. Ich lese Männeren das Buch vor (indefinite, plural, masculine).

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Is this correct?

Nominative

The man reads. Der Mann liest. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

The men read. Die Männer lesen. (Definite, plural, masculine)

This is correct.

A man reads. Ein Mann liest. (Indefinite, singular, masculine)

Men read. Die Männer lesen (Indefinite, plural, masculine). Should "die" be removed? And if one would say "people die", as a general remark, would that be "menschen sterben"?

If this is a general remark, you would have to remove 'die', yes.

Accusative

I read to the man. Ich für der Mann lesen. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

I read to the men. Ich für die Männer lesen. (Definite, plural, masculine)

The grammar is wrong. You would have to say 'Ich lese für die Männer' or better 'Ich lese den Männern etwas vor'. Same structure for the second sentence.

I read to a man. Ich für einen Mann lesen. (Indefinite, singular, masculine)

I read to men. Ich für Männer lesen (indefinite, plural, masculine).

Wrong. 'Ich lese (etwas) für einen Mann'. This is rather weird though. Better: 'Ich lese einem Mann etwas vor'. Same structure for the second sentence.

The last sentence could be a reply to the question "did you read to men, women or kids?".

Genitive

The man's favorite book was read. Des Mannes Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

The men's favorite book was read. Der Männer Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde. (Definite, plural, masculine)

It has to be 'wurde gelesen'. However, this is a rather odd sentence (in German). Same goes for the second one.

A man's favorite book was read. Eines Mannes Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde. (Indefinite, singular, masculine)

Men's favorite book was read. Männer Lieblingsbuch gelesen wurde, (Indefinite, plural, masculine)

needs to be 'wurde gelesen' not gelesen wurde.

Dative

I read the book to the man. Ich lese dem Mann das Buch vor. (Definitive, singular, masculine)

I read the book the the men. Ich lese den Männer das Buch vor. (Definite, plural, masculine)

Correct.

I read the book to a man. Ich lese einem Mann das Buch vor .(Indefinite, singular, masculine)

I read the book to men. Ich lese Männeren das Buch vor (indefinite, plural, masculine).

First one is correct. Second one you spelled 'Männern' wrong.

• 4 months later...

Really awesome thread and input given - much thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, we're introduced to a new idea in the German that doesn't reveal itself in English.

"Ich lese für einen Mann" . . . when you pointed out the correction to this sentence, I asked myself, does this sentence here actually mean the same thing as it does in English ? . . . or rather, is it instead like saying, "I read for/in place of a man" . . . using für/for in the same sense as, "he reads for a man, [so that they don't have to do it themselves]."

Then, it's a new way of looking at it . . . "Ich lese einem Mann etwas vor" . . . is it not really saying, "I read something in front of a man" . . . implying, it is up to him whether he listens or receives the message or not?

Really interesting, and just spectacular. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if not, then this language just reveals more and more impressive usefulness. What a beauty. The level of clarity and deference that I encounter in this language (German) is just amazing.