Linguaholic

Swiss-German

I would like to share some Swiss-German with you here:

This is actually a youtube contribution from my brother:

He is "translating" or let's say pronouncing some easy German words (animals) in Swiss-German. Enjoy :)

oh really? That's kinda funny. Yes, it is definitely my brother. My brother also owns hablaa.com.

If you don't know it already, check it out. It offers an amazing variety of languages (for translation). You can even translate words from German to Swiss-German.

Do all Swiss German dialects pronounce nasal endings like in "Hund" as "Hung"? Or is this specific to certain cities and cantons?

In Malaysia there are also some Malay dialects that change all "n" sounds at the end of a syllable into a "ng" sound.

Not necessarily BWL. In Zurich, people would say Hund (almost like in German), so they do not pronounce it as we do in Bern ("ä hung").

Some people in Switzerland would also say "en hond". There might be different versions that I am not even aware of:=)

Not necessarily BWL. In Zurich, people would say Hund (almost like in German), so they do not pronounce it as we do in Bern ("ä hung").

Some people in Switzerland would also say "en hond". There might be different versions that I am not even aware of:=)

I didn't realize that there were so many local accents and variations in such a small area like Switzerland. Then again the many mountains and valleys would probably keep various towns and cities separated and fairly unreachable especially long ago when there were no cars, trains and aeroplanes!