Linguaholic

When to put words into italics

NATASHA

There are so many papers that I have seen with words in italics when they are not supposed to be there, so when is the correct time to place words into italics?

You put a word into italics when you are quoting someone or something, e.g. "Get out of the car" said the man to his children.

Italics are used only when you are quoting someone or using a quote that does not belong to you, the italics give people the message that what is in the brackets is something someone else has said.

• 2 months later...

I have recently began to make use of italics in book titles, e.g. The Terrorist Next Door, The Mossad whenever I make posts such as these.  Prior to learning about italics, I used to type these titles in quotation marks, which is technically wrong.  When you quote somebody, the quotations will automatically be in italics.  Here's some additional information about the use of italics:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/italics.htm   

• 2 months later...

I actually wasn't aware that it was a practice to italicize quotes. It seems rather redundant given it's already in quotations.

In general formal writing, I believe, the consensus is italicizing book names, foreign words, and for emphasize on a particular point (usually, simply a word). Though it should also be note, depending on what kind of publication it is, titles (as in book, novellas, etc) there are different official practices in mentioning them.

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2015, 3:23:21, AExAVF said:

I have recently began to make use of italics in book titles, e.g. The Terrorist Next Door, The Mossad whenever I make posts such as these.  Prior to learning about italics, I used to type these titles in quotation marks, which is technically wrong.  When you quote somebody, the quotations will automatically be in italics.  Here's some additional information about the use of italics:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/italics.htm   

Thank you for sharing information regarding usage of italics and its priority. Have a Good Day!

On 5/5/2015, 3:21:11, NATASHA said:

Italics are used only when you are quoting someone or using a quote that does not belong to you, the italics give people the message that what is in the brackets is something someone else has said.

This is the first time I've heard of this as well. I had only been taught to put the titles of books, magazines, newspapers, and musical albums in italics. Other subjects such as articles or song titles would be between quotation marks. Would you mind explaining what you mean by "brackets"?

Is anyone else having trouble reaching the link provided above?

• 4 weeks later...