Linguaholic

Is Spanish Useful in Your Daily Life

tulosai

Well, I don't live in the US but I have been there on vacation in areas where alot of Mexicans live. On several occasions I had small children come up to me and tried to interact with me and the little Spanish that I do know did help me to respond to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Very useful for me. My parents decided to retire in Mexico and due to health issues I spend a lot of time there with them; especially the winter months. I go back and forth so much though; I need to stop putting Spanish on the back burner when I am not in Mexico so, I can actually learn the language.

It's useful to me because some of the kids in my school only know how to speak Spanish and it is a dominantly white school so they don't have much friends. The smile the lights up on their face when I come up to speak to them is just priceless.

Spanish is VERY useful in my daily life. Not only do my parents speak it, but so do many people in my town. Sometimes I would see elderly Hispanics that are having trouble understanding someone who is speaking English in the store. Since I know Spanish and English, I can help by translating!

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2013, 8:26:22, bonniea said:

That depends on where you live. When I lived in Florida I used Spanish a lot more than I do now. I do keep my eye out for opportunities to practice. I have a lot of friends who speak Spanish so I get a chance to practice. But if I did not look for opportunities I would not find as many as I do.

I'm from Florida and there is definitely a lot of opportunities to use Spanish. I'm not really fluent, but I know a lot of basic phrases and they have been really helpful whenever I need to talk to someone who doesn't or isn't comfortable speaking English.

I live in the Philippines and we were colonized by Spain for over 300 years. So there's a heavy influence of Spanish not just in our language but in our culture as well. Knowing a bit of Spanish helps me understand my country's history and language more.

I live in Los Angeles and Spanish is very useful in my daily life. If I use Spanish when ordering out at restaurants I get better treatment. If I speak in English then people will think that I am stuffy and will give me less portions or my order will take longer.

• 7 months later...

Absolutely! You don't know how many times I've come across someone in a store who only spoke Spanish and the workers couldn't communicate them, so I've had to translate for both sides. Learning any language, to me, is about making yourself accessible to people, and through you others. It's almost like a secret world that you can gain access to. I think it's like magic.

• 4 weeks later...

Spanish is useful to me in every day life because I have a friend whos first language is Spanish. Sometimes he might not understand the English for something so I help him in Spanish to understand. I also find it useful when listening to songs that have Spanish lyrics because I'm able to understand the majority of these songs. I find this helpful as it adds to my enjoyment of the song.

Maybe coming this response from me is a bit cheap and unfair, since I'm spanish native, and I'm currently living (not for much) on a spanish speaking country. The problem of living in a  homogeneus country is that you don't have many chances to actually use your language on training over actual real situations. Wish I had more chances to speak english, french or japanese outside of my family environment.

• 2 weeks later...

It does help me a lot because I actuallly live i na Hispanic country and therefore, I have to speak Spanish most of the time, however, I really wish I had somebody I can speak English with just for practicing purposes, it would be such a great and fun thing.

Where I live there are so many Mexicans, and they don't speak English at all. I have been in restaurants where I chose to use Spanish to help them place their orders because the person at the register didn't know Spanish, it's a little embarrassing for me to see them go threw that, but it is what it is. 

I greet many people in Spanish, and I like it a lot, I don't necessarily need it, but enjoy speaking it when I can.