Linguaholic

Learning Korean

MissBella

I used to have Korean classmates in college, and they taught me a little bit about their language. And it's really quite hard. Well, I think for you to be able to know more about it, you have got to immerse yourself in the language experience. You can probably start doing that by watching korean shows and movies. Aside from learning to speak their language, you have got to master their alphabet as well.

I tried learning Korean about roughly a year ago, and I'd say it's pretty hard - but that's probably because I don't have the passion for it. If you do have the passion to learn the language though, you'll most likely have an easier time with it. As suggested above, watching Korean shows and movies is a good start - especially since there's an abundance of them online.

I have an online friend who is a native Korean. We get do chat on facetime and he teach me a bit of Korean but I think it was too much for my brain to assimilate. I thought it would be easier because Asian languages are not that difficult to enunciate aside from Japanese I think.  I can catch a few pronunciations quite well but the grammar rules I doubt it.

• 3 months later...
On 27/9/2015, 9:22:22, missbookworm said:

I used to have Korean classmates in college, and they taught me a little bit about their language. And it's really quite hard. Well, I think for you to be able to know more about it, you have got to immerse yourself in the language experience. You can probably start doing that by watching korean shows and movies. Aside from learning to speak their language, you have got to master their alphabet as well.

This is a great advice as I noticed whenever I'm watching Korean shows, I'm slowly picking up some words and getting familiar with the accent and the proper pronunciation. I'm watching shows with kids involve like Return of the superman. Kids usually speak slowly and although not clearly, they use basic words unlike adults who have wider vocabulary. I learned how to say hello, no, yes, brother and names of food in Korean language just by watching Korean shows. I'm slowly learning the alphabet too by checking some sites. It's less complicated than the chinese language but difficult too. 

I just know the basics. Korean is not that difficult, it is just really different. The sentence structure, the subject and object particles (much like Japanese) and the different levels of politeness. The good thing is that Hangeul, the Korean writing sysems is one of the easier ones.