Linguaholic

steps to learning tagalog? Curriculum abakaba

monty5

Just had a question about where to start with learning  tagalog? Basic phrases? The alphabet? Ang ng pronouns.. i dont have a starting area or any structure learning... please help.. 

Edited by monty5

Hi there! My mother tongue is Tagalog, and I definitely would love to teach you about our language.

Our alphabet is actually pretty similar with the English alphabet, so you won't have much problem with that. Well, I think the best way you can learn how to speak and write Tagalog is to familiarize yourself with our language by watching a lot of Filipino movies. It would also be much better if you would go here in our country and immerse yourself into the language experience. Best of luck!

Search the ABAKADA online. That is the foundation of learning how to speak and pronounce Tagalog. Once you are familiar with the sounds you can then combine syllables and will be surprised how easy it is to learn our language. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the best way to start is with Basic phrases (Magandang umaga = good morning, Magandang gabi = good evening, etc). Then you can move on to expanding vocabulary and learning the basic sentence structure. I think grammar should come later on when you have learned more words.

Let me know if you need more help!

I agree with Foolsgold. You can start with basic phrases and go from there. The basic thing to remember when speaking/writing in Tagalog is that you pronounce words the way they are spelled. That might sound pretty easy (and it is once you get the hang of it) but it can take a bit of getting used to when you're used to another language with a lot of pronunciation rules.