Linguaholic

Most beautiful writing script  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most beautiful writing script/alphabet ?

• Chinese (Hanzi/漢字)
    • Japanese (Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana)
    • Arabic
    • Manchu
    • Korean
    • Latin Alphabet
    • Cyrillic Alphabet
    • Tagalog
    • Futhark (Runes)
    • Hebrew Alphabet
    • Tibetan Alphabet
    • Sanskrit
    • Some other script/alphabet

Hi all

My favorite script is Chinese. I just love how it looks like. So beautiful.

Chinesisch Script.jpg

I'm with you. I've always loved Chinese script as well as Chinese influenced art. It seems so airy and beautiful to me.

For me, Hangul is the most beautiful script. I find it easy to write in Hangul (Korean script). It took me only a week to learn writing in Korean compared to learning kana, which took me a month. I love kana too, but it became difficult for me. Until now, I have difficulties in reading kana. Hangul also looks cute, and it is easier for me to remember that a syllable consists always of consonant-vowel or consonant-vowel-consonant. It was easy to remember.

@Chris_A....I think I'm inclined to agree with you there. With such complex languages as Chinese and Japanese, you're probably best off learning them from a native, for sure. Would you maybe be able to do some those Skype lessons, or is that not ideal for you?

Yeah, I think Skype would be a good platform. I just have to find a teacher who would be able to teach those languages over Skype.

Yeah, I think Skype would be a good platform. I just have to find a teacher who would be able to teach those languages over Skype.

Ever heard of Italki?
It's filled with Skype teachers for pretty much any language.

Ever heard of Italki?
It's filled with Skype teachers for pretty much any language.

Never heard about it. Do they do it for free? Do they charge you? I`m sorry, but I`m really new to learning languages over the Internet.

Never heard about it. Do they do it for free? Do they charge you? I`m sorry, but I`m really new to learning languages over the Internet.

Both.

There are community 'tutors' that do it for free, but they're hobbyists. There are professional teachers that charge you, they're actual teachers. And there are informal tutors that charge you, but they're hobbyists.

Free vs paid makes a difference there, since community tutors may be like "I'm not in the mood, see you next time", while the paid tutors/teachers actually take it seriously.

Aren't we blessed to have the benefit of modern technology!? I'm sure you won't struggle to find a Skype teacher for your chosen languages. Good luck :)

To add my own input I have to say Korean. Might be biased because i'm learning it, but it's what drew me to the language itself. The history behind Hangul/Written Korean is impressive and from what I know it's the only type of writing system of it's kind (?) (Correct me if i'm wrong). I enjoy reading and writing Korean, especially when the letters start to build up into blocks.

Both.

There are community 'tutors' that do it for free, but they're hobbyists. There are professional teachers that charge you, they're actual teachers. And there are informal tutors that charge you, but they're hobbyists.

Free vs paid makes a difference there, since community tutors may be like "I'm not in the mood, see you next time", while the paid tutors/teachers actually take it seriously.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. And I totally agree with the fact that its better to receive paid tutelage rather then free. Professionals always take it more seriously. I will definitely check it out.

Well I have alot of languages that I like the script to but anyway here's a list: Japanese/Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Korean, Celtic and Gaelic (in their ancient and rune Format), Latin, French (epscially in cursive), Tibetan, Vietnamese and thats all of the languages I can think of the top of my head...

Clearly Arabic for me. I probably would have said Chinese before I learned it, but I find once you start to understand a language it becomes something technical instead of just pure art and so looses a bit of it's beauty.

I love looking at Arabic Script

Clearly Arabic for me. I probably would have said Chinese before I learned it, but I find once you start to understand a language it becomes something technical instead of just pure art and so looses a bit of it's beauty.

I love looking at Arabic Script

I feel that way as well. I still like Chinese, though :=)

I'm definitely biased, I've been learning Chinese for a really long time so I've grown really fond of the script. It's really beautiful and even though I struggled with it when I started learning, I love that the characters have their own patterns and how each radical contributes its own meaning.

In terms of languages I don't know, I really like the Arabic script. I really wanted to try and take a semester of Arabic in college but I don't think I'm going to end up having time for it :( I have considered learning Urdu (I'm already working on Hindi so I might as well) though!

Manchu is also one of my top 10 favourite scripts! I am also a fan of the Nastaliq version of Arabic script, especially when used to write Urdu or Persian. pak-urdu-installer-1.gif

I think that both Asian and Arabic languages have some of the most beautiful scripts.  I can't decide between them because each one is so different and unique.  I think these languages' scripts are much more attractive then Germanic language scripts.  

Unfortunately I cannot write or read any of these languages :(

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is for Arabic, I knew what I would vote for before I even came in here. LOL. It is absolutely beautiful. So elegant and precise and regal-looking. I would love to learn it one day and be able to write fluently. Although I don't think my Arabic would look as good as it's supposed to because I have sloppy handwriting. LOL.

Just beautiful.

www-St-Takla-org--Word-Arabic-Language-0

• 2 weeks later...

This post just makes me think of the complexity of language. I love the way all languages are written. The amount of pressure used when pressing down, slant and direction in which scripts are expressed, makes each one unique. There are so many languages throughout the world and regions unexplored that it wouldn't be a surprise if there were languages that were not written.  

I love the way arabic is written from right to left, the way lines curve and accents.