Most beautiful writing script   60 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most beautiful writing script/alphabet ?

• Chinese (Hanzi/漢字)
    • Japanese (Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana)
    • Arabic
    • Manchu
    • Korean
    • Latin Alphabet
    • Cyrillic Alphabet
    • Tagalog
    • Futhark (Runes)
    • Hebrew Alphabet
    • Tibetan Alphabet
    • Sanskrit
    • Some other script/alphabet

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

89 posts in this topic

I learned some Bengali in college, and I think it's lovely.  It's a bit more rounded than Hindi.  I wish I had a good picture to post!  I used to be able to write my name in it, but it's been years and I'm very out of practice.
Arabic is also lovely.  I can see why Arabic calligraphy is used as decoration.

I voted Latin, but now that I look at it, I think Arabic is the most beautiful script of all. It has really graceful and sensual lines and it's beautiful to look at, even if I don't understand it. The Chinese and the Japanese scripts come a close second and third. 

I really like Arabic. It looks like a very old language but it looks very cool. Now as far as beautiful, I think that the Chinese scripts are the best. They look really good.

I've always found Sanksrit very beautiful, so I voted for it.

There was no Georgian language on the list, but that's another one of my favorites, aesthetics-wise. I'm surprised it hasn't even been mentioned yet.

bc946e14001852da49099a58e602f05b.jpg

I am sure all languages look beautiful to those who love the language. For me, the Arabic script is fascinating. It is so flexible and fluid. It can be written to form pictures, so beautifully.

8p68R0i.jpg

linguaholic likes this

Easter Island had it's own unique writing style but as yet it hasn't been deciphered. It does resemble hieroglyphs even though there isn't a connection between the two.

Rongorongo_G-r_Small_Santiago.jpg

I personally believe the Greek Alphabet is the most beautiful. The script is so pretty and fluid looking. I just find it extremely aesthetically pleasing. I am learning modern Greek as well. Here are some things in Greek:

Γειά σας. Πώς είσαι;

Είμαι καλά, ευχαριστώ πολύ. Κι εσύ;

Έτσι κι έτσι. Αυτή είναι η μητέρα μου.

Χάρηκα για τη γνωριμία.

Κι εγώ. Τα ξαναλέμε!

Αντιο! Τα λέμε αργότερα!

I appreciate Hangul quite a bit. Looking at it feels really comfortable for some reason. But, I don't think I'd use the word beautiful. Maybe sensible? I'll agree with a few others here that the Japanese and Chinese scripts better fit the beauty description.

Japanese and Greek. :)

Interesting poll! I don't speak Arabic and I even don't know the letters, but I think it has the most beaitiful script.

I'd say Chinese. The words are beautifully constructed, and Chinese calligraphy 书法 (shu1fa3) is even more beautiful.

I heard even in Korea they also use the traditional Chinese character, don't know whether it's true or not though :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By polyglot88
      Hi all! I am new here and hoping to provide value, I wanted to create a post showing you guys the programs and books I have used to aid in learning the many languages I know, I am a polyglot:) I 100% believe immersion is the most important, but if you are learning any of these languages, and can afford the books or courses, give them a shot, they all have helped me/are helping me tremendously. Much love to all!
      ALL LANGUAGES/GENERAL:
      Fluent FOREVER
      Fluent in Three Months (book)
      Rosetta Stone!
      Instant Immersion (Many languages) 
      APPS I USE: DUOLINGO, MEMRISE, QUIZLET.
      SPANISH:
      Synergy Spanish
      Learning Spanish Like Crazy
      Rocket Spanish
      Accelerated Spanish (book)
      Language Hacking Spanish (book)
      Living Language Spanish
      FRENCH:
      Rocket French
      Language Hacking French (book)
      Living Language French
      ARABIC:
      Rocket Arabic
      Living Language Arabic 
      Pimsleur Arabic
      CHINESE:
      Rocket Chinese
      Living Language Chinese
      JAPANESE:
      Rocket Japanese
      Razi Sensei (Aprende desde español)
      THAI:
      Thai Alphabet in 60 Minutes
      Pimsleur Thai
      Read Thai In 10 Days
      ITALIAN:
      Rocket Italian
      Language Hacking Italian
      Living Language Italian
      GERMAN:
      Rocket German
      Living Language German
      RUSSIAN:
      Rocket Russian
      Living Language Russian
      OTHER MISC LANGUAGES (friends have used them with great results):
      Rocket Sign Language
      Practical Hebrew
      Rocket Korean
      Rocket Hindi
      Rocket Portuguese
      Things I have used for mindset, time, focus, and success, that have all helped me on my language learning journey!:)
      Success Mind Academy (Mindset)
      Super Brain Mind Power (Mindset)
      Six Minutes To Success  (Mindset)
      Magic In Your Mind (Mindset)
      The Action Machine (Procrastination/Time Management)
      Zen Meditation (Meditation/Focus)
      Seven Minute Mindfulness (Meditation/Mind)
      Much love and good luck on your language learning adventures!!! <3
      -polyglot88
    • By David Gomez
      My app Beelinguapp shows texts in two different languages side by side, and it is an audiobook at the same. It shows a karaoke animation to follow the audio.
      It has been getting some track lately and I would love to get some feedback!
      You can download it here (Android only for now):
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.david.android.languageswitch

• By Mikel95
      Hi everyone! I'm Mikel, from Spain, and I'm new here. I'm very interested in the Arabic World, specially in their ancient story. I am an eager reader too and I love languages, so I would like to read classical Arabic literature in its original form. I learned from internet that most of it is written in Classical Arabic, a sofisticated version some of some scattered ancient dialects, a language developed between the 8th and 9th centuries, and that is the precursor of the Modern Standard Arabic. I don't have time to take lessons with a teacher, so I'm only going to be able to  study for myself when I find time. I have looked for guide books on the internet and some of them are very nice, but the problem is that the explanations that they give concerning pronunciation are very technical and I can't understand them.  I just want to find some basic explanations for the moment, not extremely poor ones, but neither too complex. I want to get that information , to know how it sounded more o less and be able to study it with more confort, and to try to recreate it in my mind. If anyone knows about some place where I can find those explanations without phonetic thechicalities, that is,  in a more practical way, or even would want to bother to  write them down here, at least the most important ones I would be more than obliged.
      One more thing. I know that Modern Standard Arabic and Classical Arabic are very similar and I came across with a very interesting grammar book written by J A Haywood and  H H M Nahmad that claims to be useful for both MSA and CA. Anyone who has used it can tell me if it works for the two of the versions? Because, even if it isn't my priority, learnig MSA would be also interesting for me.
      Thank you very much!  
    • By KelseyTheLinguist
      It's not my site but...
      I believe you all might find it useful. WordBrewery is a new website that pulls sentences from the news. They are then categorized by level and topic. There's also a search bar so you can find specific words in context. Audio, translation, and the source article are included.
      It's also possible to save words and sentences to lists, and export these to Anki.
      It's currently free to use. Like every other app, all you need to do is register.
      Personally...
      I use it for German, as it doesn't have Hindi yet. But it's rather nice, because it's hard to find advanced materials for many languages I'm interested in, such as Modern Greek and Arabic. I use it as a warm up and to find context to words. I'm also considering using Anki, so if I decide to, I'll start exporting all my lists.
      Current Languages:
      Arabic Spanish French Italian Portuguese English Swedish Russian Serbian Japanese Modern Greek Polish Hungarian Ukrainian Norwegian  Korean  Chinese German
    • By Mereloshn
      So I'm a long time linguaholic who has studied several languages but now I'm in a situation where it might be in my best interest to learn how to speak Arabic.  I'm living in an area now with a considerable Arabic speaking population and Muslim culture here, and now whenever I'm out in the neighborhood I see and hear people speaking Arabic all the time so I think given my new neighborhood, it would be a good idea to learn some conversational Arabic.  My goal is to be able to speak it and understand it when others speak it, but not necessarily to read or write it.  Which dialect should I select as my new target language?  Something specific or just standard Arabic?  I believe my best bet would be to go for Darija (Moroccan Arabic) because I've identified some very strong Moroccan cultural influence in my new town.  I don't know for sure what form of the language I keep hearing when I'm out though, so I'm unsure how to go about starting this new language project of mine.  Again, my goal is to verbally communicate with the Arabic speaking population where I'm now living.  Any advice from others studying Arabic would be welcome as I'm a beginner with no background in the language and I'm unsure how to begin.