Linguaholic

Most beautiful writing script  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most beautiful writing script/alphabet ?

• Chinese (Hanzi/漢字)
    • Japanese (Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana)
    • Arabic
    • Manchu
    • Korean
    • Latin Alphabet
    • Cyrillic Alphabet
    • Tagalog
    • Futhark (Runes)
    • Hebrew Alphabet
    • Tibetan Alphabet
    • Sanskrit
    • Some other script/alphabet

I learned some Bengali in college, and I think it's lovely.  It's a bit more rounded than Hindi.  I wish I had a good picture to post!  I used to be able to write my name in it, but it's been years and I'm very out of practice.
Arabic is also lovely.  I can see why Arabic calligraphy is used as decoration.

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I voted Latin, but now that I look at it, I think Arabic is the most beautiful script of all. It has really graceful and sensual lines and it's beautiful to look at, even if I don't understand it. The Chinese and the Japanese scripts come a close second and third. 

I've always found Sanksrit very beautiful, so I voted for it.

There was no Georgian language on the list, but that's another one of my favorites, aesthetics-wise. I'm surprised it hasn't even been mentioned yet.

bc946e14001852da49099a58e602f05b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I personally believe the Greek Alphabet is the most beautiful. The script is so pretty and fluid looking. I just find it extremely aesthetically pleasing. I am learning modern Greek as well. Here are some things in Greek:

Γειά σας. Πώς είσαι;

Είμαι καλά, ευχαριστώ πολύ. Κι εσύ;

Έτσι κι έτσι. Αυτή είναι η μητέρα μου.

Χάρηκα για τη γνωριμία.

Κι εγώ. Τα ξαναλέμε!

Αντιο! Τα λέμε αργότερα!

• 1 month later...

I appreciate Hangul quite a bit. Looking at it feels really comfortable for some reason. But, I don't think I'd use the word beautiful. Maybe sensible? I'll agree with a few others here that the Japanese and Chinese scripts better fit the beauty description.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd say Chinese. The words are beautifully constructed, and Chinese calligraphy 书法 (shu1fa3) is even more beautiful.

I heard even in Korea they also use the traditional Chinese character, don't know whether it's true or not though :)

• 6 months later...

Malayalam, or any other Dravidian script.

ഇന്ത്യ എന്ന ഭാരതം. ഹിന്ദുസ്ഥാൻ എന്നും ഇത് അറിയപ്പെടുന്നുവെങ്കിലും ഈ പദം ഇന്ത്യൻ യൂണിയനു പുറമെ പാകിസ്താനെയും ബംഗ്ലാദേശിനെയും കൂടി ഉൾക്കൊള്ളുന്നതാണ്. ന്യൂഡൽഹിയാണ്‌ ഇന്ത്യയുടെ തലസ്ഥാനം .

On 1/29/2018 at 3:06 AM, Padawan said:

Malayalam, or any other Dravidian script.

ഇന്ത്യ എന്ന ഭാരതം. ഹിന്ദുസ്ഥാൻ എന്നും ഇത് അറിയപ്പെടുന്നുവെങ്കിലും ഈ പദം ഇന്ത്യൻ യൂണിയനു പുറമെ പാകിസ്താനെയും ബംഗ്ലാദേശിനെയും കൂടി ഉൾക്കൊള്ളുന്നതാണ്. ന്യൂഡൽഹിയാണ്‌ ഇന്ത്യയുടെ തലസ്ഥാനം .

looks nice, indeed.

And here's the next clue for participants of the Linguaholic Discord Quiz. By now, you should know what is the most beautiful script according to Linguaholic users. It is now time for you to learn a sentence in that language. Find out what this means and you will know how to proceed:

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 3.47.09 PM.png

• 1 month later...

I find the Filipino Baybayin script, the Japanese and the Georgian Scripts truly beautiful. The Baybayin script is a mixture of Indian, Malaysian and Indonesian influences and you can really see an obvious resemblance of it to Sanskrit, Balinese and Malay scripts. Very poetic and stylish. 

The Japanese script is equally fascinating because even if most of its characters are derived from Chinese characters, it does have its unique look and style. The tategaki format is also influenced by the Chinese system. Still, it evokes a certain personality that's artful and fun.

And the Georgian scripts. Ahh... I'm really drawn to its unique character. The scripts do express a regal vibe but there's an intriguing and mysterious air in each and every letter or font. Something that makes the Georgian scripts look like a work of art. 

I'm sure there's a lot more! But these three look interesting, form and aesthetic-wise. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I don’t want to seem biased but since I’ve been studying a lot of languages such as: mandarin, Korean, Russian, Arabic, English and Spanish I’ve noticed that there is one language that stands out to me, It is Arabic