Linguaholic

How about Filipino language? Anyone?

multilingo

Filipino language may not be popular as other languages such as Chinese, Spanish, German, English etcs. but Philippines because of its beautiful spots, this country is one of the favorite destinations in Asia. That is why I am wondering if anybody here has/had interest in learning the language of this country which is Filipino. 

Anyone? And if yes, why do/did you have an interest to learn the language? 

I got lots of Filipino friends working outside of the Philippines. Filipinos are warm and friendly people so it would not be a surprise if they make a lot of friends wherever they may be. Some of these friends are teaching their foreign friends the pinoy language and some of them are quite fluent by now. 

I am currently living with my in-laws, and my mother-in-law is Filipino She speaks Tagalog all the time on the phone to her friends and family and while I don't understand much, it is fun to listen to! It is such an energetic language when spoken. (My husband was born and raised in Canada so he is not fluent).

I never considered Tagalog before marrying- always assumed if I picked a language from anywhere in Asia it would be Japanese - but it is hard to pass up the opportunity have a fluent language partner in the same house. I have picked up on certain words and phrases and would love to learn more. She encourages me to learn, and often emphasizes how Tagalog is pronounced the way it is spelled (in regards to English phonetics). After learning the whacky spellings and pronunciations of Irish, that sort of easy introduction is very welcome!

Most of my Filipino friends know English pretty well and I don't plan to travel to Phillipines by myself. I am more focused on German, Hungarian and to improve my English skills rather than on learning a language that would bring me no use on the short term.

• 9 months later...

There's not much interest for foreigners to learn the Filipino language because most Filipinos can speak and understand English. In addition, even if they do learn Filipino, foreigners will find that although it is the national language, there are many other dialects being used by natives in other parts of the country. Filipino is simple and easy to learn though.