Linguaholic

Song from Desperado

I'm sure many of you have seen Desperado.  The second in the El Mariachi trilogy.  The first one to have Antonio Banderas as El Mariachi.  He sings a song at the beginning that I'm trying to translate.  I don't have much of it done.  There's one line in particular that is giving me trouble.  "Jineteando en mi caballo".  Does anyone know what this means?

Thank you.  I asked a Puerto Rican/Cuban friend, and she said she had never heard that word.  Is it a regional word?  If so, what countries say that word: Jineteando?

I never heard it or used it, but "jinete" is a rider and actually exists as a verb as I could find in the RAE here:

1. tr. Am. Domar caballos cerriles.

2. tr. Arg., Bol., Nic., Pan., Par. y Ur. Dicho de un jinete: Montar potros luciendohabilidad y destreza.

3. tr. Méx. Tardar en pagar un dinero con el fin de sacar ganancias.

4. intr. Andar a caballo, principalmente por los sitios públicos, alardeando de gala yprimor. U. t. c. tr.

5. intr. Cuba. Realizar negocios ilícitos con extranjeros con el fin de obtenerdivisas.

6. intr. Cuba. Dicho de una mujer: Ejercer la prostitución con clientes extranjeros.

7. prnl. Col. Montarse y asegurarse en la silla.

By the context in the song it must be the translation I gave you (you can even go further and say he is kind of showing off while riding), but it has another figurative meanings depending on the country and context, some completely different.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it means i will not take my horse because he continues I am going to walk on ground. I have been working with some Spanish friends on Malta and since i really love this movie and this song along with Salma Hayek and Antonio Banderas i asked him to help me with it.  It was few years ago but i think he said something like that.
I actually know and knew then entire song and he was amazed because i never learned any Spanish. It was from the movies and Latino TV shows. i remember that i did not know what aguardiente was and he told me it is a strong spirit, a national home made drink. also, he told me that they do not make difference between V and B , when speaking, ofcourse. So caballo can be /kabalo/ or /kavalo/ . I found that very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎16‎:‎45‎, djordje87 said:

I think it means i will not take my horse because he continues I am going to walk on ground. I have been working with some Spanish friends on Malta and since i really love this movie and this song along with Salma Hayek and Antonio Banderas i asked him to help me with it.  It was few years ago but i think he said something like that.
I actually know and knew then entire song and he was amazed because i never learned any Spanish. It was from the movies and Latino TV shows. i remember that i did not know what aguardiente was and he told me it is a strong spirit, a national home made drink. also, he told me that they do not make difference between V and B , when speaking, ofcourse. So caballo can be /kabalo/ or /kavalo/ . I found that very interesting.

Thank you so much.  This is very good information.  I love that movie, too.  Sadly, I have yet to see El Mariachi (the original of the series, where a different actor plays El Mariachi).  I didn't like Once Upon A Time In Mexico as much.  I didn't hate it, I just like Desperado better.  Anyway, thank you again.  I would love to translate the whole song so I actually know what I am singing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24.11.2015. 15.55.05, czarina84 said:
On 24.11.2015. 15.55.05, czarina84 said:

Thank you so much.  This is very good information.  I love that movie, too.  Sadly, I have yet to see El Mariachi (the original of the series, where a different actor plays El Mariachi).  I didn't like Once Upon A Time In Mexico as much.  I didn't hate it, I just like Desperado better.  Anyway, thank you again.  I would love to translate the whole song so I actually know what I am singing. 

Spanis

Soy un hombre muy honrado
Que me gusta lo mejor
Las mujeres no me faltan
Ni al dinero, ni el amor

Jineteando en mi caballo
Por la sierra yo me voy
Las estrellas y la luna,
Ellas me dicen donde voy

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay mi amor
Ay mi morena
De mi corazón

Me gusta tocar guitarra
Me gusta cantar el sol
Mariachi me acompaña
Cuando canto mi canción

Me gusta tomar mis copas
Aguardiente es lo mejor
También el tequila blanco
Con su sal le da sabor

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay mi amor
Ay mi morena
De mi corazón

Me gusta tocar guitarra
Me gusta cantar el son
Mariachi me acompaña
Cuando canto mi canción

Me gusta tomar mis copas
Aguardiente es lo mejor
También el tequila blanco
Con su sal le da sabor

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay mi amor
Ay mi morena
De mi corazón

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay mi amor
Ay mi morena
De mi corazón

English

I'm a very honourable man
And I like the best things
I don't lack women
Nor money, nor love

Riding my horse
I go through the land
The stars and the moon,
They tell me where I am going

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay my love
Ay my dark lady
Of my heart

I like to play the guitar
I like to sing to sun
The mariachi play with me
When I sing my song

I like to drink my glasses
(Spanish national drink) is the best
And also white tequila
With salt that gives the flavour

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay my love
Ay my dark lady
Of my heart

I like to play the guitar
I like to sing to sun
The mariachi play with me
When I sing my song

I like to drink alcohol
Aguardiente is the best
And also white tequila
With salt, it enhances its flavour

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay my love
Ay my dark lady
Of my heart

Ay, ay, ay, ay
Ay, ay my love
Ay my dark lady
Of my heart

3 hours ago, czarina84 said:

Thank you.  I was also translating a few words incorrectly.  I thought "morena" meant dark-haired and "sierra" meant mountain range.  Thanks for correcting me on those. 

I believe that morena means dark haired dark skinned lady so you are right about that. She is just pure latina girl. And sierra might be the mountain range because i just translate this from what i have learned and it is not much obviously. You Spanish is more precise than mine. :) That was just google translate as i can see now. So i checked with some of my friends and they told me any elevated ground is correct here. Like a hill or a mountain.

21 hours ago, djordje87 said:

I believe that morena means dark haired dark skinned lady so you are right about that. She is just pure latina girl. And sierra might be the mountain range because i just translate this from what i have learned and it is not much obviously. You Spanish is more precise than mine. :) That was just google translate as i can see now. So i checked with some of my friends and they told me any elevated ground is correct here. Like a hill or a mountain.

Thank you for double-checking.  And, again, thank you for the song.  When I listen to Spanish music, I like to keep read the translation.  It helps me word associate, so that way the two languages become like one. This helps me a lot.  I'm very glad you have friends who can help you. 

On 10/20/2015, 5:32:30, czarina84 said:

Thank you.  I asked a Puerto Rican/Cuban friend, and she said she had never heard that word.  Is it a regional word?  If so, what countries say that word: Jineteando?

In Mexico we use the word/verb jineatando (jinetear) to refer to someone who is riding a horse but performing a sort of abilities while riding, which are more commonly seen in charro events.

On the other hand "jineteando" is also a sort of slang word that refers to the action performed when an individual is using money from someone else to pay for his/her expenses, in the context that the money doesn't belong to this person, but to someone else, even though using without approval of the legitimate money owner, and delaying the time it should be returned to this latter.

Great song and I am checking it out now. I like it so much. I have learned Spanish from the soap operas that have been shown on TV here for decades, and I learned how to read it afterwards, but I still unfortunately can't really manage to talk in Spanish. But I understood a great deal of the song.

13 hours ago, OmniHead said:

In Mexico we use the word/verb jineatando (jinetear) to refer to someone who is riding a horse but performing a sort of abilities while riding, which are more commonly seen in charro events.

On the other hand "jineteando" is also a sort of slang word that refers to the action performed when an individual is using money from someone else to pay for his/her expenses, in the context that the money doesn't belong to this person, but to someone else, even though using without approval of the legitimate money owner, and delaying the time it should be returned to this latter.

The second context doesn't seem to apply.  Since he uses the word "caballo", I'm inclined to think it's the first one, being that Desperado is set in Mexico.  When you say "riding a horse but performing a sort of abilities while riding", do you mean stunt riding, where you perform tricks on a horse while riding it? 

Yes @czarina84, is the first meaning what "jineateando" means about in Desperado, and indeed, I meant stunt riding, somewhat similar to what we see at the American rodeo, but mainly using a rope to perform ability tricks that here are called "suertes."

These are some of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydrVD-DO0Y