Linguaholic

Bad at Drawing.

czarina84

If you are using pen and paper, it wouldn't be much of a problem, so as long as you follow the strokes correctly.  Graphing paper is suggested since you would have to be consistent with the kanji sizes.  However, if you're practicing Japanese calligraphy, you would need to properly use your pen.  In addition to following the strokes, you will also be required to use calligraphy pens of various sizes.

Edited by AExAVF

I don't think being bad at drawing will necessarily affect you if you learn Japanese. As said by the poster above, as long as you follow the strokes correctly you should be fine. I'm pretty horrible at drawing myself and I've learned Chinese, Japanese and Korean - granted, I'm not fluent at them (at all), but writing was always the least of my worries. I go through them with ease. You just really have to follow the instructions. It's not bad at all, I mean it's not like you're required to draw manga. Just (mostly) simple letters.

I don't think being bad at drawing will necessarily affect you if you learn Japanese. As said by the poster above, as long as you follow the strokes correctly you should be fine. I'm pretty horrible at drawing myself and I've learned Chinese, Japanese and Korean - granted, I'm not fluent at them (at all), but writing was always the least of my worries. I go through them with ease. You just really have to follow the instructions. It's not bad at all, I mean it's not like you're required to draw manga. Just (mostly) simple letters.

While I would not say that they are all simple, I would still agree with the quintessence of Tyrells' message :=) I am also terrible at drawing but was still able to learn how to write an endless amount of Chinese Characters.

I can't draw very well.  Will this affect me if I want to learn Japanese?  I know that the characters must be precise.  Is there some kind of method I could use?

Ever seen a doctor writing? :P
I'm very sure you're much better at Japanese characters than your local doctor is at writing his/her own characters. :D

Ever seen a doctor writing? :P
I'm very sure you're much better at Japanese characters than your local doctor is at writing his/her own characters. :D

Ok.  I just wanted to make sure that I didn't make a tiny mistake and accidentally write swear words or something.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me, I can't draw to save my life and I can write (most) Japanese characters without problems. The two things don't correlate. As long as you're willing to practice, your Japanese will get better.